Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Trying to break into Construction Management

5 replies [Last post]
Christine Miller
User offline. Last seen 19 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello, all!

I am relatively new to the planning community, and I find myself in the difficult position of working as a planner for an engineering/construction directorate with no background in those topics. The manager who hired me told me that having an engineering background wasn’t necessary, but it would sure help to have a clue as to what these folks are talking about...as if it weren’t bad enough that I don’t have the answers, I don’t even know the questions, LOL!

My undergraduate work was in Medical Laboratory Technology and Biological Sciences. Two years ago, I completed my Master’s in Management and achieved PMP certification through PMI. I’ve been working in PM for almost 8 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to good sources of information about construction/engineering management?

Thanks much!
Christine

Replies

Christine Miller
Thanks, Gary, for your help. I may very well take you up on your kind offer for e-mentoring!

I have just received copies of Project Scheduling and Management for Construction, Revised 3rd Edition, by David R. Pierce, Jr., and Fundamentals of the Construction Process by Kweku K. Bentil, AIC. That will get me started, anyway, but I’ll definitely look into your text recommendation as well.

Looking forward to speaking with you again-

Regards,
Christine
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Christine,

I would recommend two avenues to try.

First get yourself a copy of a book called “Construction Planning, Programming and Control” by Brian Cooke and Peter Williams. You can find it on Amazon (type 1405121483 in their search facility and you will find it). I think that if you were to get one book, then get this one. It is written by people who lecture at a university about planning, so it is easy to follow and work you way through.

Second, find yourself a mentor – somebody who is an experienced planning engineer who you can ask questions of. Don’t worry about asking what appear to be really simple questions – in your position you are entitled to do that! If there are not any around that you can ask directly, then ask on PlanningPlanet. Even better, ask me at gfrance@mace.co.uk I have about 40 planning engineers working for me, and we will be glad to help. We were all in your position once!

Good luck with your new career.

Gary France

Christine Miller
Thanks so much for your kind replies, Jaco and Asif! I have just joined AACE, and intend to take advantage of everything they have to offer educationally.

Then, I think patience will be called for, not only on my account, but on my employer’s. I have no doubt that I’ll be able to learn the trade, particularly if I can interest one of the senior PM’s into mentoring me actively. I think that will be key to my development.

Christine
Asif Anwar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Christine

I suggest that you try to do some sort of short term courses on construction management which are easily available in the market from any reputable institution like aacei. The website is www.aacei.org

Since you do not have any construction background at all, there will be many occasions when you will not even understand the basic terms of construction terminology and it will put you in a very embarrassing situation.

In addition i will suggest that you register online with any good civil engineering dictionary which will help you in understanding the basic terms of construction as you come across. A one good site is RSMeans where you can register and quickly find the definition of any construction terminology. The website is www.rsmeans.com. I have found this dictionary to be quite useful.

Rest we all planners are here to help other planners.

Wish you good luck

Asif
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
A would suggest 3 things.

1)The American cost instutute they have tons of books. www.aacei.org.

2)Or keep on reading Planet Planning.

3) Time

Cheers