Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition: What New Things Would You Like to See Included?

6 replies [Last post]
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Sometime in 2016, the next edition of the PMBOK® Guide should be published by the Project Management Institution. Every past edition has added new concepts and techniques. What are some of the things you would like to see covered in the 6th Edition?

I have just published a new blog article listing ten items I’d like to see added, an explanation of each, and a rating of how likely I think each is to be added. You can find it here.

I’ve also started a discussion thread in the FORUM linked to the blog where others can make their own suggestions or simply comment on those suggested by other people. You can find those suggestions here.

And I plan to keep track of suggestions and perhaps compile them for submission to PMI.

So let’s see what ideas are out there. Now might be a good time to propose some of the specific techniques that you think deserve greater attention.  

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Replies

Praveen Malik
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, There is a rerecent updated on PMBOK Guide 6th edition. The likely release date in end of 2017. PMI has released the exposure draft and announced the high level changes to the guide. Here is a summary of PMI's announcments.

BR

Praveen.

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 14 hours ago. Offline

The standard update cycle is a 3 year project for a PMI team of volunteers (ISO is not much better). The real opportunity for change is in the first 6 months when the major re-drafting is done.  After that, the ability to enact significant change is progressively reduced as the draft goes through a series of reviews.

Most radical ideas offered at the commenting stage are deferred to the next update (mainly because they have not been through the various reviews) leading up to this point.  So definitely comment - but be prepared to wait.  The standard update cycle is a 3 year project for a PMI team of volunteers (ISO is not much better). The real opportunity for change is in the first 6 months when the major re-drafting is done.  After that, the ability to enact significant change is progressively reduced as the draft goes through a series of reviews.

Most radical ideas offered at the commenting stage are deferred to the next update (mainly because they have not been through the various reviews) leading up to this point.  So definitely comment Stephen - but be prepared to wait.  

I'm not involved with the PMI update but have been working on a couple of ISO standards. 

Patrick Weaver

The standard update cycle is a 3 year project for a PMI team of volunteers (ISO is not much better). The real opportunity for change is in the first 6 months when the major re-drafting is done.  After that, the ability to enact significant change is progressively reduced as the draft goes through a series of reviews.

Most radical ideas offered at the commenting stage are deferred to the next update (mainly because they have not been through the various reviews) leading up to this point.  So definitely comment - but be prepared to wait.  The standard update cycle is a 3 year project for a PMI team of volunteers (ISO is not much better). The real opportunity for change is in the first 6 months when the major re-drafting is done.  After that, the ability to enact significant change is progressively reduced as the draft goes through a series of reviews.

Most radical ideas offered at the commenting stage are deferred to the next update (mainly because they have not been through the various reviews) leading up to this point.  So definitely comment Stephen - but be prepared to wait.  

I'm not involved with the PMI update but have been working on a couple of ISO standards. 

Patrick Weaver

Most radical ideas offered at the commenting stage are deferred to the next update (mainly because they have not been through the various reviews leading up to this point).  So definitely comment - but be prepared to wait.  The standard update cycle is a 3 year project for a PMI team of volunteers (ISO is not much better). The real opportunity for change is in the first 6 months when the major re-drafting is done.  After that, the ability to enact significant change is progressively reduced as the draft goes through a series of reviews.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Patrick wrote:

"You are 18 months too late to be doing this."

Huh! That's disappointing. Well, I guess I'll have to hope they included some of those ideas then. Maybe critical path drag.

Or wait for the"Comment" period and hope someone is willing to listen.

Under any circumstances, Pat, thanks for your kind encouragement.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Patrick Weaver

Steve,

You are 18 months too late to be doing this.  By now the standard will have been largely re-written/updated and moving into the editing and review phase.  Each update is a 3 year project and 'new ideas' need to be in the mix diring the first 6 months or so. 

Keep up the good work but realise you are working to influence the 7th Edition due in 2020 not the 6th Edition which will be publised late in 2016. The good news is PMI do carry ideas forward from edition to edition. 

Pat.