Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How would you judge the Quality of EPC Schedule?

8 replies [Last post]
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 6 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Just been given a poor evaluation score by an independent assessor company for a Clients EPC Schedule done during the FEED stage of a Petrochemical Revamp project. They obviously won’t release their criteria just general mutterings about too few activities.

What would you judge the quality?

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Lookup;

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/rabaseline.html

In there Ron Winter sets out the checks he carries out on baselines ... he does then pitch his own software for automating the process, but the guide does make interesting reading nonetheless. It is not specifically aimed at EPC, FEED or any other specific approach but is instead a general baseline check.

You say that they won’t release their criteria, only give a score. Interesting aproach, then they don’t have to justify their results. How can you improve if all you are told is that you are bad? That’s rubbish.

And Charlie is right, if you sent it to them in B+W then shame on you :P

As for activity count. Where I am we estimate one activity per man-shift for maintenance turnarounds. New build may be different, I don’t know. Depends on the project and how you’ll be updating it / how much control you need.

General received wisdom is that no activity should last longer than 2 reporting periods. We report daily, general building contracts tend to report monthly, smaller ones weekly, so it depends. The point is not to have any single activity so big that you can’t tell what’s going on inside it.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Charlie,

I like purple (Royal blood) and gold (Money) EPC schedules.
ladi sodipo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Charleston,
i see you got jokes......anyways thanks for the info.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
it really depends on which country you worked.

sometimes the color of the P3 schedule may connote high quality.

Take for example so and so country. Their nationalities prefer to use purple colors (royal blood) or yellow

The client will automatically approved thinking the color give a good EPC schedule.

But of course, the content is rubbish

And the name of the Country is ????????

Guess
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
ladi boy,

what are you doing in Texas in the oil and gas industry.

FEED stand for :Front End Engineering Design

Only in the oil and gas industry this term found.

In the building industry it is called .....

differently

Cheers
ladi sodipo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
What is FEED?
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
John/Peter

May I be presumptious and assume that the plan at the FEED stage is equivalent to the Tender Programme.

Thanks for your enlightenment.

James.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Sounds like a typical assessor company, trying to get a planning contract out of simple assessment job. I would always ask to see their report (full version) and criteria on what they based their report etc. If these are not forth coming then I would consider the conclusion is a put up job and should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

As for getting a plan together to do FEED, as long as it covers the general scope of the planned work within the required time frame, its usually OK by me. The detail along with the vast numbers of activities will hopefully follow at the Detail Engineeing phase.

Regards

John