Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to Choose a Good Project Manager?

No replies
Henry Davis
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have been wondering if the stuff we learn in PMBOK really applies in real life.

One such question is about the selection of a good project manager. What are the qualities and attributes do you really look for.

In PMP, they say that communication skills, management skills are more important, and even more important than technical skills.

However, most of the time I get resumes from people who are technical, and are vying for project management positions. Some have turned out to be good project managers, and some terrible.

Do you face such situations at work?

I'd like to know how do you choose a project manager - based on technical skills, knowledge, experiece, or people who are not so technical, but are good orators, and able to articulate their ideas well, better communicators, but may lack depth.

Thanks.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Henry

The first requirement is a long track record of succesful project delivery backed up by references.

Best regards

Mike Testro