Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Relaxation Milestone Letter

2 replies [Last post]
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Planners,

I would really appreciate your help regarding this matter. Our project has missed a particular milestone and we assessed it is client's fault by not giving enough information to complete the required works to accomplish the milestone. The contractor has written a letter to the consultants (us) regarding this. I was tasked to write the letter to the client pertaining to the relaxation of the milestone. However, I haven't written a letter of some sort before nor have I seen one, thus I am asking anyone here that could help me by sending me a sample format (contents and pertinent details that should be included) or if you have previous letter (with deleted important information) that could help me draft my letter)

Again, I would really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks and more power!

D'Artagnan

Replies

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Mike,

Thanks a lot. This helped me drafting the letter.

Best Regards,

D'Artagnan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi D.

It depends on how serious this slippage is.

Does it affect the critical path or just use up float?

You do need to keep your client informed of all developments - particularly notices from the contractor.

Your letter would be very simple along these lines:

Dear sir

I attach a copy of a letter we have recieved from xyz contractor ref sssss date dd-mmm-yy.

This states that milestone nr 123 for whatever it is which should have been achieved on dd-mmm-yy has been passed.

Please inform us when you will be acheiving this milestone so that we can regularise the contractors programme.

There is currently xx working days float attached to this milestone so it will not become critical until dd-mmm-yy after which delay to project is a likely occurrence.

OR

This milestone is now critical and any further delay will have a direct and commensurate affect on the projec completion date.

We await your valued instructions in this matter

Love and Kisses

The Engineer

Best regards

Mike Testro