Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

seeking info on large Structural Precast projects

17 replies [Last post]
Simon Peter Cordner
User offline. Last seen 13 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m part of a project management team in the midst of designing a large (170k m2) medical instructional/clinical facility and we were looking into perhaps using a large quantity of structural precast.

Are the PP members here familiar with any recently-constructed large-scale projects utilizing extensive structural precast elements? Location of the project isn’t really a factor. We would be looking into talking to the involved parties about their experiences with it.

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Simon
We have carried out a variety of projects with precast here in Hong Kong.
Can provide some interesting info if you are interested wont dont you e mail me directly
Kind regards
Clive
Simon Peter Cordner
All --

Could you take OT discussions elsewhere?

For those regarding the issue at hand:

I’m more like the Project Manager’s pet analyst than a planner or designer. I handle claims, controls, and contract disputes. For this project, the building design hasn’t yet been finalized.

Really, all I need is a list of large commercial/academic building projects utilizing extensive structural precast elements constructed recently. The specifics of it all are for the designers, at the moment all I’m trying to do is get very basic info (project name, project size, owner, designer, contractor) on these kinds of projects; nothing more detailed than that is necessary.

The project itself is a large hospital facility, 4 floors, spread over a wide area. Half of the facility will be clinical treatment and the other half will be for medical instruction/research. The total building size is around 170k m2, and the project budget will top CAN$1B.
Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 16 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Charles,
Sorry the issue had been cut due to urgent call, anyway my primary school in Kamague Community school. I think i’m a bit senior than you. Anyway, whatever as long as we know that were from the same place thats it.

Some info regarding my self, all of my career were Oil & Gas, this includes PetroChemical Plants for over 20 years of different Management positions (you name it)in construction, pre-comm & Commissioning, Turn Around and Shutdown, Rejuvenetion and Revamp.

So you are doing Building construction or something?

I think you knew my brother his name is Jay Alivio.
Jerry Alivio
Hello Charles,

What a small world, we came from the same place, I garduated my BS Mechanical Engineering in the University of Visayas in Cebu City 1983 it takes 7 years my engineering period, you know a bit naughty during those days. My High School in Iligan City also.

I am from Tipanoy...not to mention the capital...

Just like you I’ve been through those Hot and Cold countries, particularly Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi then.. in Finland, Austria, Florence, Germany etc. next target hopefully Russia.

Hey! I must go now there’s a meeting call.

See yah..kabayan.

Jerry

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Jerry,

You do seems familiar to me. I live grew up in Mindanao, Iligan City the place. Maybe we were classmates before. My school: Iligan City Central, Kamague Community, Iligan City High, then transfer to MOGCHS, Cagayan De Oro, finally gradauated in Palawan National High School.

Attended University: FEU (Manila) and graduated University of San Carlos (Cebu City). Worked in different parts of the Philippines three major island, then presently roaming around the world Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Qatar and UAE.

Precast concrete I seldom saw in Oil and Gas. Generally, we used PEB: Pre-Engineered Building. In Middle East, as lot of company doing PEB. Major one is Zamil Steel.

Simon, all you have to do is give them the specification and they will quote or reply to what you want.

Pre-cast concrete, my previous company got a subsidiary Pre-cast Concrete factory. We used it in construction of buildings.

Raja, Im not really picking the oil and gas. I wanted only to share my experise.

Cheers,

Charlie
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jerry,

Hope to see yu soon. Yu must be very busy now. Btw good luck with your revised schedule

Thanks

norzul
Jerry Alivio
Hello Raja,

I believed it’s a nightmare, just like us we are the main con. But what I did is to give the Contractor a grease period to rectify the problem of re-work, this is a big issue in almost every project. If they cannot up grade thier quality system then, they have a problem.

Because I really don’t agree this re-working, they cost a lot just emagine if your project delayed then you lost 10 percent of your contractual pay off, it creates a big impact to the schedule and manhours spent.

By the way how you evaluate your contractor before you award the contract, normally by TBE right? then of presentation before it kicks off.

I think i gone too far..

Bye for now,

Regards,

Jerry
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jerry,
Not every contractor know how to make hole, believe or not i have been experiencing with this contractor asking how to make a hole and install anchor bolt, its take 3 days to complete 2 hole and being reject by QC in 10 minutes, The client keep knocking our desk every morning, with not acceptable words. Its nightmares to us as Main Con.
The project U doing is at sungai Udang isnt it, the contractor is larsen & toubro
Jerry Alivio
Hi! Charles,

You are familliar to me, MMmm...I am from Mindanao i think you know the place right?

Hello There, Simon... are you a planner/ scheduler or something? a structural designer? can you please specify your problema...maybe we can be a help for you. If you are a planner please don’t crack your head thinking about this problema just hire a designer, then if you are a planner.

Please just wait for them to complete thier design before you enter the room. All you have to do is to monitor thier progress based on engineering deliverables by weekly or monthly.

Have the best in life..

Jerry
Jerry Alivio
Raja Hello!

Currently I am involved in a Power Plant Project, as a Project Control Manager, My status is just come & go you know... by the way you mention the hacking and enlarging of "HOLES" MMmmm... Agree!!! holes should be subjected to be enlarge..he..he..of course if the it does,nt fit right??

But to make eassier you have to apply for an (EI) Engineering Instruction just to make sure that the credibility of the foundation is there, otherwise i will ask the construction people to re-design with engineering calculation, and one thing is that pre-casted foundation is an smaller item, why is it needs to be "HACK"?

I will be in Malacca on the 5th of August 2006.

See yah there...

Jerry
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi charles,
What are U doing? Cutting que... of oil&Gas members..
cheers

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi again Simon,
Are U supplier? From your post threads U look like supplier. Anyhow most of our problem is modification of foundation like hole for anchor bolt, thickeness foundation to suit the try fit equipment skid. Some of the contractors just simply hacking until U can see the structure. This one craziest thing buy precast foundation. Maybe we should gather a manual for every purchase of each foundation for modification purpose base on supplier spec.

Hi jerry,
Which month U will arrive here? and what kind of project U involved in.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Simon,

Please clarify this "designing a large (170k m2) medical instructional/clinical facility ". Is the facility structural steel framing (column and beam) cover with metal sheathing or is the facility precast concrete.

Take not that the respond so far is from oil and gas expert. And their perspective ralates to structures typical to the oil and gas.

If you can clarify fhurther, maybe I can share my expertise in building works (High Rise Towers/residential building) using structural precast elements.

Cheers,

charlie

Jerry Alivio
Hello Raja,

Whats up? Maybe one day we meet each other here, i mean are you in Malaysia now? I am in one of the Petronas Project here in Malaysia.Maybe a couple of months.

About the Bulk Structural Steel Materials, well for me we just have to go back to the drawings review carefully the BQ whereby you can get what you really want to purchase right? volume or sizes and the tonnage.

There you can plan your next move for the storage or a Laydown Area, then how you can arrange the Blasting and painting of course. Then issue to me and PO for the fabrication and the erection of those steel.

He..he..he.. its business side.

See yah.. :>

Jerry

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi,
From my POV as planner in OIL&GAS
Advantages with large amount we not lack of Structural items, but the more U buy the more wasted, lost, damage if not storage carefully.
example like ours problem we always having problem wasted in cuting beams & Column, other discipline steal for their support, or being thrown away to scrap box, damage, wrong spec.
Disadvantage is less then advantage but very costly involving contractor backcharge claims, manpower getting fed up and run to other projects , downtime renting equipment, access to other contractors block etc .
I do prefer buy a large amount but have to control and organize carefully.

ok for now, maybe meet again tomorrow.
Simon Peter Cordner
Well, we’re trying to get an idea about advantages and disadvantages from people that have actually done large projects with a large amount of structural precast.

Fundamentally, this is a broadly-scoped fact-finding mission that I’m on. Any information about projects using a large amount of precast beams, slabs, etc. would be useful.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi,
Thats interesting topic to talk about, why dont U just let it out what in your mind. Maybe we could share the intresting idea or doubt arouse U.

regards