Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Developing a project management methodology

2 replies [Last post]
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Hi, I have a several question from my friends, please help me!

Why we need for a standard methodology?
What Characteristics of world class methodologies ?
Why we need world-class methodologies ?
how Integrating the PMBOK® into the methodology?

Regards

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 11 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
Standard Methodologies are useful in some PM environments.
PRINCE 2 is currently the UK standard for local government for example.
Within this environment it is useful to have a standard methodology as information is common throughout the government chain

Interpretation of a methodology however can be varied and the bureaucracy of maintaining it can sometimes make the actual project management a worthless activity.

Furthermore the standardisation may not be suitable through all levels of an organisation. Normally these methodologies are created at a corporate level but when it filters through to the lowest level it becomes unworkable. It may be sometimes neccesary to introduce summary methodologies to suit that level of work. In my organisation for example a standardised one has been created for the telecoms market but even this is unworkable throughout the corporation.

I dont think it is possible to have a worldwide methodology unless it is very simplistic due to the varied nature of project management.

My personal opinion is that the best methodology is one whereby the project management of a task is the responsibility of the activity owner.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The word "standard" let me feel serious. In project management, "standard" may not apply, I think. Projects are various in all factors, never identical the same.

Instead a structural, reasonable and acceptable approach may be more appropiate. Compromise and agreed by all concerned parties for a project far more importance. Then extend same methodology to similiar project, further in industry. Crossover the development, feedback, review and fine tuned all steps.

If everyone, hopefully world wide, explicit their experience, analyse these information, structure it, more or less have same effect of PMBOK.