Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning and Scheduling related problem

4 replies [Last post]
Punit Gupta
User offline. Last seen 11 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Planners,

Greetings!!

I am new to Primavera, i did certification course for the same. I am facing this weird problem in the planning and scheduling that i am doing for a housing project. Following are the details and the related problem i am facing in Primavera p6...

Total Number of Blocks to be constructed: 10 Nos

Total Type of Blocks: Type A,B,C & D.

all blocks are stilt +4 Floors ( only difference being difference in area of each block)

How i scheduled is as follows:

Enterprise - Project SW   - Bock A (- Block A1 - Block A2 - Block A3)

- Block B (-Block B1 - Block B2 - Block B3)

- Block C (- BlockC1 - Block C2)

- Block D (- Block D1 - Block D2)

- Land Development.

Total Time to complete the project: 30  Months Starting date 01-03-2013

Maximum time to complete one block ( any type) = 12 months or less.

Since all the blocks are same except the area, what i did i Scheduled Block C1 first. I completed it in every aspect. It showed the activities that were critical and other too as per actual expectation.I had also marked each blocks starting and finishing milestone. Then i copied the same to other blocks ( since all are same), then the problem arose.After i scheduled  all the activities turned non critical even the Block C1 turned non critical.

Please enlighten!

Thankyou all

Replies

Punit Gupta

Thankyou Mukund ji

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Punit

If all 10 blocks are the same and all start and end on the same date and all blocks are on the same programme then they would be either all critical or none.

I suggest you stagger the start date by linking excavation complete from block A to Block B and so on.

This will put a critical path through the project by way of a resource driven linkage.

Avoid using Must end On constarints to set up false criticality.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Punit Gupta

Dear Mukunda Ji,

I am very well aware of critical path concept. What i did was simply planned for one block in every aspect. It showed the critical and non critical activities as per actual expectations. Then i copied the wbs to other blocks. Then Linked each block to the start and finish milestone of the project, Yet it is showing all the activities non critical. Please help

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 11 years 1 week ago. Offline

Dear punit

if u know critical path concept u can understand why the software s not giving the critical path.  It depends on ur input( links, constraints etc..)

Thanks & Regards

Mukunda