Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filtering within a WBS

2 replies [Last post]
Sebastian DiBlasi
User offline. Last seen 9 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

We have schedules developed by contractors that have WBS's utilizing a standard template developed for the project I'm involved with. Since we have approximately 15 projects set up using this template, we wanted to filter activities wherein work is occurring under a particular Stage across all the projects. I can filter a WBS by just stating WBS Name equals "Stage X". The problem is you only get the activities under the Stage X in question, you do not get the activities from WBS's within the Stage.

I reached out to Oracle and they came up with a solution to create a UDF, then perform a global change where the UDF equals the WBS Name, then run a filter on the Stage, but it is still the same problem. To try and utilize a filter of activities for "WBS is under Stage X" would be monumental and a total pain to perform.

Have you encountered such a situation and do you have a possible solution? I am attaching two pictures: one of what the filter does when WBS Name equals Stage X and one of what we really need.

stage_filter_using_the_udf_filter_now.jpg
stage_filter_needed.jpg

Replies

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Sebastian,

I have good results using the WBS categories, easy to use:  group on wbs and fill your WBS category column with your defined stages and filter on that.

Also the filter:  WBS path- contains- stage/value does what you ask. It gives you the activities of lower stages.

I hope this helps,

Arend

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 hours ago. Offline

Think out of the box, instead of it got to be using WBS consider using activity codes to create your filters.

Frequently I create my jobs using whatever WBS arrangement comes to my mind but also create user defined activity codes. Then from these activity codes I can create a couple of extra WBS dictionaries. Usually one WBS dictionary organized by Project/Area/CSI.Div. and another WBS dictionary organized by Project/CSI.Div./Area., is similar to organizing by codes but not equal.

If you insists on using WBS codes I believe the use of user defined fields shall do the trick. Copy the WBS codes on a user defined field using global change and create a filter, not by looking for an exact match but for a string starting at a specific character on the text values. I tried this approach with my software and it worked, but I still prefer the use of activity codes rather than text filters.