Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating With Resource-Costs for Corps

5 replies [Last post]
Emily Grover
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have a P6v7 schedule created with the cost for each activity as a resource (rather than Expense, so that it can be used to create an SDEF for QCS input). The 'calculate costs' and 'auto compute' ticky-boxes are ticked. When I update the activity percentage (physical), both simply in-progress or complete, it clears the dollars out of the budgeted cost in the resource (setting it to $0).

I understand that P6 is unequated (dollars and durations will not run off the same entered percentage) so I already know I'll need to enter each update twice. But I'd really like to have the budgeted total stick around so I know how much it is without flipping back and forth to a previous schedule. How do I keep the resource-loaded budget from clearing when I update?

- ES

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Emily,

I'm sorry was not able to get a solution for the prob. It's rare.

I doubt there might be mistakes while assigning the resources. Try removing the resource and reload, recalculate.

Or maybe try having a new sample project and do the exercise.

Regards,

Emily Grover

Raymund:

Here it is before:

p6-before.jpg

After I mark the activity 'completed' in the drop-down box for Activity Status, the following is the result. No other changes were made to the activity. Note the 'Budgeted Nonlabor Cost'.

p6-after.jpg

Hopefully that helps clear it up!

- EG

Raymund de Laza

Hi Emily,

I can't figure out what exactly the problem happens with your Project.

APMU Budgeted Cost shall be intact even the project is updated.

Can you share a screen shot of your project?

Regards,

Emily Grover

Raymund, thanks for the suggestion!

I've looked through those options and I'm not seeing what ought to be different. Just in case, I tried all three options down in the bottom-most area and the budgets continued to clear. Is there somewhere else I should be looking / changing?

Thanks again!

- EG

Raymund de Laza

Hi,

Please check the settings of your Earned Value Calculation on the Admin Preferences.

Hope this will help.

Regards,