Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Re-basline with progress......L of E error

8 replies [Last post]
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I have a project were the PM has agreement to draw the line in the sand as the current programme stands.
i.e. current programme becomes the new baseline.

The problem is that after saving the current programme as a baseline, any activities with progress (that are not exactly on target) show different baseline dates to the current programme.

When detached the new baseline has the same current dates as the current programme, but its baseline dates are different (on activites that have progressed but are not on target).

Can anyone explain why this is?

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Oliver,
It is normal that EV is not the same as Planned value unless your schedule is progress according to plan (i.e. SPI =1). If the schedule is out of sequence then use global change to update Physical Progress = Schedule.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Oliver Melling
I find that EV doesnt calculate properly on activities in progress though.

The baseline and current bars line-up in the gantt, but the EV doesnt match the planned value.

This can be addressed by altering the % complete, but then the gantt changes again.
(This is particularly noticable on tasks started out of sequence.)

The only alternative i can find is just altering the physical % complete on eac activity, each update period, but this not an easily workable option.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Planned dates are editable. So you can restore the baseline, global change the planned start and finish, and put it back.

the earned value can have its schedule changed in "Admin Preferences" but my choice is to change the planned dates in the baseline
Rodel Marasigan
Oliver,
As far as my knowledge is concerned all P6 baseline is always based on Planned date. This also the situation if you don’t have baseline attached. Planned dates = Baseline dates = Early dates and once progress Planned date = Baseline and early dates = remaining dates = current dates.

If you are looking for EV based on At completion with current dates or Budget with Current dates and not Budgets with planned dates there is a settings on Admin-> Admin Preferences-> Earned Value tab-> Earned value calculation options.
Oliver Melling
One thing i have noticed however, is that the earned value cost doesnt equal the planned value after changing the dates to match.

So even thought the planned dates align in the gantt, the budgeted units must still be spread differently?!
Oliver Melling
Thanks for th reply Rodel.

I know how to work around it, just wondered why it does it?

Its not that unusual to have progressed baselines, so why do P6 keep developing BS reporting functions when the basics dont seem right?
Rodel Marasigan
Oliver,
These issues have been discussed so many times now. Check the link below on some of them and the solution:
How to set Baseline- After revised the Schedule and to - Post#2
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Is this the old Planned Dates issue? All baseline bars are drawn from Planned dates. You might be expecting the current dates?