Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Budgeted & Actual Labor Units

3 replies [Last post]
Rifky Soedirdja
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,
I have a problem in Budgeted and actual units. I have loaded budget units to each activity and also update actuals. When I check from Activity Usage Spreadsheet, seems like distribution manhours between Budget Labor and Actual Units for each activity that has been progressed (on the left side of Data Date) is not the same.

Example :
Activity A : Actual Unit for that period = 4 Mhrs but Budgeted Labor Units for that period = 7 Mhrs

So, total Cumulative for all activities until Data date :
Cumulative Actual Units as of Data Date = 140K;
But Cumulative Labor Units as of Data Date = 150K

I thought Budgeted Labor Units for those activities that has been progressed (on the left of Data Date) should be equal to Actual Labor Units. And the balance will be distributed until project completion.

However total manhours at completion is still the same, only the distribution is different.

Does anybody have any idea ? Thanks.

Rgds,

Rifky

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Rifky,
If work is according to plan (baseline planned date = Actual Date) then both of them should be same distribution but normal case it is not so the distribution will not be the same. If you use Store Period Performance that should record all the actual units based on define Financial Period. If not then actual distribution will keep changing and distributed proportionally based on actual start to data date.
Rifky Soedirdja
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

I have tried your suggestion, but it doesn’t work.

When I checked the Activity Usage Profile, the blue bar (Actual Units) for some perioods is still not in the same height as the yellow bar (Budget Units). Some is higher and some is lower compare to the Actual Units. They should be the same right? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

Rgds,

Rifky
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Rifky,
This is a common problem if datadate time is not the same as timescale. By default if you set a datadate the time is 12:00AM or 00:00hrs. To resolve this issue, when setting datadate make sure that time is also show (Edit-> Users Preferences-> Time Unit tab-> Time then tick 12:00 hour (1:30 PM)) then adjust your data date time to last working hour say 5:00PM. That should equal cumulative total on actual labor units and At completion datadate.