Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Constraints - Where to use what??

4 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Out of the 9 constraints in P6 , I know the uses of some of the constraints, but i am little bit confused ,in which situation i have to use them. Can anybody suggest some notes or materials with examples of constraints, it will be much helpful for me.

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Haresh,
You maybe searching a wrong topic. Try good scheduling practice or basic scheduling... etc.

Link below is Proper use of Milestone and Constrain
Scheduling Best Practice

In addition P3.x constrain equivalent to P6
P3 3.x Constraint Type:  ------------ P6 PM Constraint Type:
Early Start (start no earlier than) --  Start On or After
Late Start (start no later than)  ------ Start On or Before
Early Finish (finish no earlier than) - Finish On or After
Late Finish (finish no later than) ----- Finish On or Before
Start On ---------------------------------- Start On
Expected Finish ------------------------- Expected Finish Date
Mandatory Start ------------------------ Mandatory Start
Mandatory Finish ----------------------- Mandatory Finish
Zero Total Float ------------------------- Not Converted
Zero Free Float -------------------------- As Late As Possible

PMI has a book of Practice Standard for Scheduling which is a good reference link below.
PS Scheduling.

If you are a member of PMI you will have a free access to all ebook that PMI have and you find a lot of good reading materials about Project Management.
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

There are lots of book / materials available, if we search on internet, but there are fewer info available for all constraints, which we use in P6. i have studied the link what u have sent to me, that is helping me to some extent....

Can u send me some more useful links, with examples , in what external dependencies , we use constraints….Since I have to prepare for a presentation on this topic , I request you to provide this info….
Thanks in advance

Regards,
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Haresh,
You can google it and you find a lot of books and white papers available on the web.

Below link is one I found.
Adding Constrained Milestones
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Haresh

The only constraint you should use is on the 1st task which should be start on or after.

All other uses distort the critical path.

Best regards

Mike Testro