Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Build a WBS in P6 similar to activity codes??

5 replies [Last post]
Yasser Elyosefi
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Arnold,

I’ve seen you recommend using the following VB/Excel file for many problems :

http://knowledgebase.primavera.com/attachment/PATTLNK_632006_536-xerFile...

I downloaded the file but don’t know how to use it

I want to:

1- Build a WBS in P6 similar to activity codes

2- Assign activities previously assigned to activity codes to their respective WBS level

How to use this VB file to solve these??

Regards,

Yasser

Replies

Alhasan Abdalla
User offline. Last seen 11 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

here is the link to the latest sdk

http://www.eh.com.au/software.html

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Yasser,

You cannot create & define WBS using the "Parser & Builder.xls" you can only modify individual .xer file.

Try this http://knowledgebase.primavera.com/attachment/PATTLNK_1172008_031-WBS.xls

1. You can then create & define WBS similar to Activity Codes. However, you need to have SDK installed into your machine.

2. To assign the WBS is easy therefore, try first the #1 step then proceed to the assignment by showing the WBS on the column and use the "Fill Down" feature.

Regards,

Arnold
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Yasser,

I supposed you can play with the "group and sort"; you can combine wbs and codes, add / delete, indent etc.
Yasser Elyosefi
User offline. Last seen 4 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Rafael. Unfortunately I don’t have either Sure track or Spider Project. But it is important to me to make the conversion in P6 instead of building the WBS structure one by one.

The other thing, I need to allocate the activities previously assigned to Activity codes to their respective WBS. I doubt this can be done automatically.

Regards,

Yasser
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 3 hours ago. Offline
Yasser,

Look for an easier way to do this.

Even a low-end product such as Primavera SureTrak does the conversion at the click of the mouse. SureTrak allows you to do so using a supplied script, OUT2WBS.SBL: “Converts your project’s outline codes to WBS codes”. Unfortunately SureTrak being a low end product only allows you to keep a single WBS definition per job.

Spider Project lets you do that at the click of the mouse at the WBS dialog box, of course being a higher end product it allows you to save multiple WBS definitions, as many as you wish as the field for WBS names is open as to the amount of characters it can contain. To me 3 WBS definitions are enough but if you are a WBS freak using more than 20 definitions is going to make your drop down lists too long, impractical although in theory unlimited.

WBS from activity codes

You should be able to do that in P6; just you have not been lucky as to get an appropriate match on the help search. Remember even Primavera SureTrak can do it.

Conversion to WBS codes from Activity Codes is possible; conversion in the other direction is not always possible, because WBS has a more open structure you cannot be assured of a one to one perfect match.

Best regards,
Rafael