Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Late project start date not same as early

6 replies [Last post]
Shanmugam Thangam...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,
I have prepared a programme which show the late project start date is 1 day before earlier than project start date. The late start date start on non working day asigned in the calender. How can I bring the late start date is same sa project start date?

Replies

Shanmugam Thangam...
Dears,
Thanks for your useful trips and very useful link .But still the late date start 1 day earlier than early start and late project start date is a non working day. However I have asigned the calender to all activities with 6 working days calender.
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
if your project has constraint "must finish by" and it’s a non-working day, you will get a float (negative or positive).
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
How can I bring the late start date is same as project start date?

Probably you will find you are having negative float of one day, this should be your most critical path. Try reducing the duration of one of your most critical activities by one day.

Remember about job finish constraint defined at the project level and not at the activity level, this constraint seems to be overlooked /forgotten by many.

Another reason can be resource leveling, if doing resource leveling keep in mind that "traditional" Float computation is wrong, P6 provides you with a new definition called Remaining Float that is dependent on resource leveling but i am not sure it is the same as Resource Critical Float. As a matter of fact I have the suspicion it is not, otherwise Primavera would have used Resource Critical Float in their computation of "traditional" Float, as by definition both should be the same.

The following reference can provide you with some additional information about P6 dates.

http://ronwinterconsulting.com/Understanding_P6_Dates.pdf

Because I do not have P6 I could not investigate if Remaining Float as computed by P6 is the equivalent of Resource Critical Float or if it is another intermediate value, another of the many they provide without further explanation.
Shanmugam Thangam...
Dear Ravi,
There is a constraint finish on/or before for last activity project complete.
I wonder why even the date fall on non working day as well. Do we need to change any working hours or admin preferences any?

Rgds,
Ajith
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Ajith,

Check the constraints. If there is a late constraint then this might happen.

Also check for Mandatory Constraints.

Remove above constraints and re-schedule it. Let us know the late start date.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ajith,

The start of the project is a Contractual milestone. Even if you start 1 day earlier, it does not count. You need to report the start date as per agreement.

With kind regards,

Samer