Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 log in problem

8 replies [Last post]
Ido Moreno
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
HI TO ALL, I INSTALLED COMPLETELY AND SUCCESSFULLY A P6 IN MY LAPTOP, VISTA OS, WHEN I ATTEMPTING TO LOG IN A MESSAGE APPEAR AS EXACTLY AS THIS "Unable to connect to the Database, would you like to configure it?" BUT WHEN I CONFIGURE STILL CANNOT LOG IN AND A MESSAGE AGAIN APPEAR AS EXACTLY AS THIS "Bad public user name or password. Database Server Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. ".
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? THANKS AND ADVANCE.can also send to my email bnvndmrn@yahoo.com

Replies

Ido Moreno
Fereson,

HI MAYBER UR CORRECT COZ I TRIED ALL THE BELOW COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS OF OUR FRIENDS,, STILL DID NOT MANAGE TO RUN, MY OS IS VISTA HOME BASIC.
Fereson Alcaide
User offline. Last seen 15 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
That is really the problem with vista home and basic edition, p6 wont work. Try using xp professional or vista business edition.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
Ronald:

Simplified my choices?

Finally they did it. I knew they stopped any upgrades and technical support for these two products but somehow hoped they would reconsider.

Maybe it is time for 90% of the market to accept Primavera is no longer viable for us. Probably we must start considering other solutions, preferably scalable solutions from stand alone "Project Groups" (for 90% of us) to "Enterprise" (so 90% of us can communicate with the remaining at 100% compatibility).

P3 is what got Primavera to the top, lack of it I hope will get them down by the drain soon.

None of my clients do need nor wants an "Enterprise" solution. They are no Dept. of Transportation, no Electric Power Utility, no Water Utility but hometown contractors.

Ronald what options my clients do have? I wonder what Municipal and State Agencies will specify as they cannot ask for what is no longer available. P6 would be an overkill for a Fire Station, an overkill for small municipal jobs, an overkill for a Parking Building, an overkill for Water/Wastewater Treatment Plants, an overkill for a new High School even an overkill for New Vocational Schools, an overkill for 99% of our jobs while Primavera contractor is a joke.

Ido:

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST TOOL I SHOULD USE AND BE FAMILIAR WITH?

For the moment I feel like in "limbo" even though my clients didn’t care much, they simply said will go back to Microsoft.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rafael,

Primavera has simplified your choices for you; they no longer sell P3 or SureTrak. Don’t lose those installation disks. They are nearly priceless.
Rafael Davila
We use Primavera SureTrak because of our volume of work, SureTrak at $ 400.00 street price will do it at 1/10 the cost of P3 which is $ 4,000.00 and only through a Primavera Vendor. I wish we all could afford P3, it still has the edge, unfortunately primavera does not care about those who need this application and not the enterprise stuff.

Regarding P6 this is substantially more expensive, it requires a network administrator who will maintain and backup the database, because every other month there is an update to solve a few bugs you got to add a yearly maintenance agreement per license to get what should be free. Every P6 upgrade at the network level must be done by an IT guy who knows about databases and network administration. I have seen occasions when after an upgrade by an IT person all links to external documents were lost, even a change in directory could create chaos. Don’t get me wrong, the enterprise stuff is precisely what a few must have. Deployment of P6.2 if a true web application (should be faster on the Internet than using Metaframe) might even be harder and more expensive as you will get into issues such as band width. Don’t even consider Primavera Contractor, a companion to P6, it is a joke. It is incredible how Primavera released such a limited product, which cannot even do resource leveling while being too limited as to the amount of activities it can handle.

MS Project might be a bug in itself but eventually you will have in some way to deal with it, get a copy of it and learn the basics. Don’t use it as your software of choice.

All these are based on essentially the same theory, all can be tamed, but even those without bugs do have their limitations, their tricks and traps. It is your choice.

Ido Moreno
HI. HADY AND RAFAEL,

THANKS FOR YOUR FAST RESPONSE, I WILL TRY AND LET YOU KNOW. ANYWAY REGARDING BUG ISSUE FOR P6, IS TRUE? SO WHAT IS THE BEST ADVISE FROM YOU GUYS FOR ME AS STARTING MY CAREER IN PLANNING? WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST TOOL I SHOULD USE AND BE FAMILIAR WITH?
T.Y. AGAIN GUYS.
Hady Shendy, PMP
User offline. Last seen 11 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
try to open SQL server express studio
use user name "sa"
for more details go to
Primavera Online Interaction (POINT)
Rafael Davila
When everything else fails I would follow the last resort option, to completely uninstall P6 and the Database Software. Then I would do a clean install, with patience, I would let the setup program enter the defaults in the very first database run it does at the end, just press enter, do not type any username nor password. I believe this should do it.

But wait, easier said than done, a regular control panel uninstall for both P6 and the Database will leave files and folders within the Program Files Folder you must delete (hidden within folders not necessarily easy to identify), also will leave registry entries you must remove, be very careful.

I would try to contact Primavera Support to see if they have a utility to completely uninstall P6 and the Database Program. Another option would be to try using software for this purpose, something like “Remove Master” as utilities to clean up the registry, like “Registry Mechanic” usually won’t do it.

If you really need P6 enterprise stuff, for whatever reason, even with its bugs, go for it. Don’t blame Primavera; they got to protect themselves from unauthorized use of their proprietary software.

Sorry but the temptation is too much not to express the following:
P3 – THERE ARE NO BUGS ON ME
SURETRAK – THERE ARE NO BUGS ON ME
P6 – THERE ARE SOME BUGS ON ME
MS PROJECT – I AM A BUG