Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Time Clock Data

9 replies [Last post]
Milton Maindonald
User offline. Last seen 14 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can somebody assist???

We have recently introduced a time clock system where resources time write to activities within the plan. On a weekly basis I update the % complete in the plan, and then import the actual data via an excel spread sheet and it populates the "Actual Hours".
Now here’s my problem: The Remaining Labor Units end up not representing the % complete, as in some cases the teams have spent too many hours etc. etc.
I need the Remaining Labor Units to balance as it affects my "At Completion Labor Units" and subsequently upsets my "Cost Performance Index - Labor Units".

Is there another setting within Primavera I have to change other than taking the tick out of the "Recalculate Actual Units and Cost when Duration % Complete Changes" box?

Cheers,

Milton.

Replies

Mark Porter
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi David,

We are currently using Units % complete & are arranging for our people to update their progress on a weekly basis by re-estimating the remaining labour units & remaining duration for each activity, thus we are forcing a “new” remaining units / time.

This seems to work quite well for us, as most supervisors that I have met are definitely better at understanding how many people they need to finish an activity that they are working on, than estimating the % complete of a task. This may be due to the fact that as humans they like to ‘pump-up’ how they are travelling to date but they then also don’t want to sell themselves short with their future manpower requirements (Pessimism vs. Optimism).

As an example.

If I have people working 10 hrs a day and I ask a supervisor to accurately estimate the % complete of an activity that his men are working on, he may look at the task and make a gut feel guess of “Ah it’s about 50% complete mate…”

When I then look at the bookings he has had 2 people working on the task for the last two days and therefore they have burnt 40hrs in total so far.

Based on this 50% complete statement, you could assume that the EAC is going to be 80hrs in total, but if you where then to ask the supervisor to estimate the number of men he will need to complete the task and he says “I need 3 fitters for the next 3 days” he is therefore saying that he requires a further 60hrs to complete the activity & they are actually only 40% of the way through the task.

The downside is that you need to carefully manage your bookings & ensure that all activities that are booked to during the week are updated, and if something un-expected pops up, you need to have a process to mange the potential for the % to go backwards scenario. I’ve also noticed that once you start to book to each activity the durations do tend to stretch out when you book hours to it & the logic can become very ambiguous if the bookings trigger your actual starts, however if you use retained logic, it can be managed.

Further to this, I have also been involved in another company where the supervisors where required to estimate their % complete & they were all superstars at completing the job to 90%, but the last 10% always burnt 20-30% of the budget & caught them out. To resolve this issue we moved to steps & electronic updates via the web app, thus creating a type of work pack for each activity, this works quite well but updating is pretty full on due to the large number of steps that you then have to put into the schedule.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Mark Porter
Milton Maindonald
David,

I would be interested in looking at a screen shot of the Global Change you run. It may work for me if it represents the % Complete of the progress update after I run it, in regard remaining hours.

You could email the screen shot to:
mmaindonald@fitzroy.co.nz

Cheers,

Milton.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Naveen,

IMHO

In order to calculate how many manhours are left to do, I need to know how much work is achieved and how many manhours were booked to achieve the performed work. This gives me the CPI to apply to the remaining manhours.

Units% complete is current hours booked divided by at completion hours, except it does not go above 100.

If I have an activity whose budgeted labour hours is 10 and percent complete type is "units", when I book 10 actual manhours to it, it shows as 100% complete. I may not have achieved any work at all at this stage, all I know is that I have booked 10 timesheet hours.

This how SAP (a production planning system)works, not a project planning system.

I would REALLY like a field called "Units % complete to be Earned value divided by Budget Quantity..... but we don’t have one in P6.
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David,

Can you please elaborate - "units per cent complete is clearly a sophisticated cost engineering joke that no-one in planning gets."
The reason I am intersted on this statement is that we use unit percent complete with fixed duration & units/time as the duration type. Focusing only on "how much work have we done" & not on the "remaining work to be done" defies caluclation of an accurate % progress.

Looking forward for your comments.
Regards
Naveen
Milton Maindonald
Hi David,

Tried that. Still had to go and manually alter all the remaining hours to bring into line with the % complete.

Seems to me that I have to do this until an enhancement is sorted.

It’s a real pain!!!! specially with so many activities.
David Kelly
Those settings are ok. How about:

in the "settings" tab where you unchecked the auto compute actuals from duration% complete, you should have "add actual to remaining" ticked (to calculate at completion) rather than subtract actual from at completeion ( to calculate remaining)
Milton Maindonald
Thanks for the reply David,

I’m using the following settings:

Duration Type = Fixed Duration & Units
% Complete Type = Duration

Any idea as to what I should be using???
David Kelly
Correct!?

I may have picked you up wrong... Duration per cent complete has NO effect on remaining resource requirement. It ONLY changes duration. Thats what it is supposed to do. There is no value for percent complete type where the percentage reduces the remaining manhours to go. You can fudge it with various "auto compute" switches and pretend that productivity is 1.00. Or use a duration type with a fixed units per time period.

I thought that your remaining manhours was changing and that was the problem!

I use "fixed duration and units" at most clients becasue I consider that the correct duration type when the most important thing I know about a job is the total manhours to be liquidated. Not the duration or the number of men.

I use duration % complete because physical percent complete does nothing, and units per cent complete is clearly a sophisticated cost engineering joke that no-one in planning gets. Like 95% of planners I know I would like a percent complete that answers "how much work have we done" but maybe I am just being an old P3 stick-in-the-mud.

So I also have to run a global change to reduce the remaining manhours........
David Kelly
I suspect that the duration type of the activity may be the issue.

If you use "duration" per cent complete type, then the % complete reduces the remaining duration, NOT the remaining manhours. If your duration type has a fixed units per time period, e.g "Fixed Duration and units/time" then the remaining manhours are reduced BECAUSE the units per time period are fixed. BUT if you use, say, "fixed duration and units" then the remaining manhours are not recalculated when you add a duration per cent complete, it is the remaining units per time that are recalculated.....