Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PRX file to open in P6

18 replies [Last post]
Darrin Owen
User offline. Last seen 16 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I have a prx file and i need to open in in p6, i tried the import function but the prx file does not show up and it does not show and project groups as it does in suretrack.

Please help

Replies

Omair Mughal
User offline. Last seen 11 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear PP’s

I agree with Joel as I was also facing the same conversion issue but then i renamed the .prx file to .exe file , Run it and it will auto self extract to several p3 files. 

Then Import in the P6 through the P3 Import Option and it will be done.

Cheers,
Omair

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

In order to use any Primavera conversion utility to convert p3 files into xer files you need to have P3 or SureTrak installed or at least some files and or some registry values that will allow P6 to make the conversion. I do not know of a 100% standalone conversion utility that will do it without these requirements. If you like the conversion utility you need either P3 or Suretrak whether you like it or not. And both dinosaurs have issues with Windows 7, believe SureTrak with any version of windows 7 while P3 with Windows 7 x64.

I agree P3 and SureTrak are old dinosaurs but also believe P6 is a new dinosaur version, still cannot give you correct float values after resource leveling so dumb it even gives you free float values when displaying zero total float, still cannot model correctly shift work, when transferring files form external databases a lot of garbage is transferred, many people have issues with the installation, and the list goes on.

FF vs TF

P6 is here because it is required at gunpoint by unscrupulous owners and specifiers that do not care about the needs of the contractor. At home the GSA and many American agencies are among those who promote the Primavera monopoly even when against the law, and I am not saying Primavera is breaking the law, no it is not their fault. These Agencies argue the ends justify the means, their strategy is that if there are no weapons of mass destruction they will create them, a bunch of hypocrites that break the law whenever they want to.

Even when I do not use P6, at times I receive files from all 3 dinosaurs, P3, SureTrak and P6. In addition and even more frequently I receive files in MS Project format, especially files by Subcontractors to be included as part of the GC Plan. I keep my SureTrak license with the only purpose of having a view old old SureTrak generated files and after having a view to be able to make the conversion using the conversion utility.

Yes P3, SureTrak and P6 are all dinosaurs, dinosaurs with wrong mathematical computations for the most basic CPM values.

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Rafael for the option, but I think the P3 conversion program is the best (simplest) way to go, especially as P3 is disappearing from my world.  SureTrak was just a paid-for tool that once worked, no reason to keep riding that horse.  I try to insist that all schedules that I 'risk' be resource loaded .xer files, the conversion tool makes that a non-issue.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Another option might be:

Install Windows Virtual PC along with Windows XP Mode, it is free from Microsoft. Then you will be able to install SureTrak, P3 and P6 in the required order in your virtual XP machine.

Thereafter you shall have no problem here with the conversion. You will have a backup installation of P6 in your machine. You will have no operating systems issues with SureTrak as it has serious problems with windows 7 no matter if 32 or 64 bits. You will be able to use other associated software designed for Windows XP.

If you do not want to install P6 into your Virtual XP machine you can sill install P3, SureTrak and the conversion utility to perform the conversion and transfer the files among the virtual machine(s) and your system using the explorer as if moving files from different folders in your machine.

If you latter-on have issues with the installation you can delete your virtual machine, create a new one with no hidden file nor registry values that interfere with P6, if something happens you can try again and again without having to resort to extreme measures such as the infamous Format C of your machine, a solution suggested by others when having problems with their connection to the P6 database.

If you still need access to P3 and SutrTrak I strongly recommend the Virtual XP machine, don't fight against the operating systems.

The following link might be of help for those having issues with the xer import.

http://primavera.zxlm.cn/kb/prim73486

To read about issues with SureTak and Windows 7

http://primavera.zxlm.cn/kb/prim84832

Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

To build on Ron's and Forest's statements.

I recently tried to open a P3 file in a P6 64bit system using Suretrak, changing the file extension, and the conversion program.  I found that I could not open the prx file on my laptop because I had installed SureTrak after P6, whereas it would work on my desktop because SureTrak was installed before P6(except contractor had locked the file).  I found that changing the file type to .exe had no effect whatsoever (I believe this is a 64bit issue).  I then had the contractor send me the zipped .p3 files and here the order of installation of SureTrak re-asserted itself.  The only consistent remedy was to have the contractor convert his prx file to xer (sent him the file and instructions from Oracle).  File under for what-it-is-worth.

Currently having trouble opening my two SQL databases to verify what I just wrote.  May have to amend this post after I solve this semi-reoccurring problem (a re-boot sometimes fixes this).

P6.7.3 working now (re-booted).  However, SureTrak crashed/hung when trying to restore the prx file.  Needed the unzipped .p3 files to work.  P6 seemed to have no problem importing from .p3 files (again order of SureTrak installation important).  Recommend that you give your contractors/subcontractors the P3 to xer conversion program.  It seems to be the best solution (I still had some slight calendar issues).  To echo Ron - good luck.

Forest Peterson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

This string is the clearest explanation of how to import a P3 prx file to a P6 xer format. I found  a few step are missing if you are using a x64 bit OS and remote file storage.

1) after changing the prx extension to exe, self extract through a Virtual Machine x32 OS; self extracting in a x64 OS caused an error

2) copy the folder with the extracted P3 files to a local drive; importing to P6 from a an Andrew File System (AFS) server caused an error

Forest Peterson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

This string is the clearest explanation of how to import a P3 prx file to a P6 xer format. I found  a few step are missing if you are using a x64 bit OS and remote file storage.

1) after changing the prx extension to exe, self extract through a Virtual Machine x32 OS; self extracting in a x64 OS caused an error

2) copy the folder with the extracted P3 files to a local drive; importing to P6 from a an Adrew File System (AFS) server caused an error

Joel Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 12 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear PP’s

I managed to rename the .prx file to .exe file and auto self extract to several p3 files.
Possible reason I couldn’t rename it at first might be due to some network security settings or software version I am using at that time. Once the file extracted I haven’t have any trouble importing it to p6.

Try to move the entire extracted file to a new folder and locate this folder during import to P6.

Cheers,
Joel
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
For some strange reason, Primavera switched the P3 import process for Version 6 and above from a ‘pull’ to a ‘push.’ If you have P3 installed, then you can still pull the scheduling into P6. If P3 is not installed, then the P3 owner needs to run a utility available from Oracle (and on the distribution CD) that will convert P3 schedules into a XER file that can then be imported into P6. Good luck!
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
sorry to but in, i too am having problems, I have a p3 plan which is extracted all files showing, When we try to import it we cannot as the P3 import button is shaded grey, we do not have p3 installed does anyone know a workaround

kindest regards

bradley
Joel Villanueva
Dear Santosh Bhat,

I have .prx file but when I attempted to rename it to .exe It still inherit the .prx extension. (i.e. Project.EXE.PRX). and no self extract happening. I am desperate to open this file in p6. Pls help. Thanks.

BR,
-Joel-
Joel Villanueva
Dear PP’s

I managed to rename the .prx file to .exe file and auto self extract to several p3 files.
Possible reason I couldn’t rename it at first might be due to some network security settings or software version I am using at that time. Once the file extracted I haven’t have any trouble importing it to p6.

Try to move the entire extracted file to a new folder and locate this folder during import to P6.

Cheers,
Joel
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Rename the .PRX to be a .EXE and it will extract itself automatically, even if you don’t have P3.1, Then you can import this into P5/P6 as a P3.1 project.
shiv rao
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Normally teh PRX file if has ben restored properly in P3 and backed up file.
then the P 6 / 5/ 4 Engine shall confirm the PRX file in the project location or else it will not .
regards

shiv
Naveen Subbaiah
User offline. Last seen 14 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I am not sure about 6 but 4.1 do not have this option (extracting prx). So whenever we used to get a prx file, we used to first extract it using P3 & then import the native file to 4.1

Regards
Naveen
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi.
You need to extract the prx file to around 24 file (in P3 format), then P6 can import P3 file.