Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copy & Paste Function in P5

4 replies [Last post]
Beth Spivey
User offline. Last seen 12 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
I cannot copy from one project and paste into another. When I go to paste, and right click the "Past" function is grayed out. I can within a project but not project to project. Any suggestions?

Replies

Ken Barrett
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
When opening your project, press the "ctrl" button and highlight the project you want to copy from and the project you want to paste into (thus having two projects highlighted). Then right click and select "open Project". When doing this notice that there will be two projects open. When you select the "activities" function you will see that both selected projects in you view. Use the "Ctrl" and "-" button to collapse the WBS. Then simply expand the project you want to copy from, copy the information, collapse the WBS again and expand the project that you want to paste in and Vuala! copy and pasting from one project to another!!!

I hope this helps you out!

Ken
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
copy and paste? i guess you can do it in the WBS view, first go to projects view, make sure that the projects (you want to copy) are on the same EPS, open the whole EPS, and go back to WBS view then play with copy & paste.

but one thing i don’t like is you will copy the same IDs (which makes P3 still the best)!

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Have you both projects open when you copy and paste?

Don’t schedule with both projects open if the have different scheduling options as they will all be set to equal the default projects, changing those of the non default project.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Beth,
Not sure as this works fine for me all the time.

Maybe the access level for the other project???

you may not have sufficient rights to paste (create activities), as set by the level of access granted under the OBS/responsible manager of that project.

At least that’s where I’d start.

Andy