Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Advise for MigrationImplmentation from P3.1 to P6

8 replies [Last post]
Benjamin Mora
User offline. Last seen 11 years 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
I just wanted to get advise from the experts regarding a proposed migration from P3.1 to P6. I am leading the the team.

I work for a small company with about 8-10 vertical construction project managers who have a limited understanding of Primavera as a schedule tool. We only do cost loaded schedules without resource planning. This works mainly because we are a General Contractor.

I was a part of a migration in another job that went from MS Project to P5, but I did not organize it.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Cenk Seran
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Guys

jseran@gmail.com

Thank you
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
HI Cenk.
Kindly give us your email address.
Cenk Seran
User offline. Last seen 16 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all,

I have read your posts, which were very helpful; however, what I am really looking for is that what needs to be done for the migration process to be a successful from P3 to P6. Can somebody email me that .pdf file which shows the needs for the preparation?

Thank you
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi.
In Primavera document CD there is a pdf file concerned with "how to upgrade to P6 from P3". they show lots of thing needed to do in preparation.

Regards
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
sorry to pop-up here, i’m becoming more confused when i read the posts below, I had a calendar in P6 which shows like this:

Detailed Work Hours/Day
Work Hours
:00-:30 | :30-:60 - underneath it are the lines showing blues and greys.

I believe the blues are non-working and the greys are the working hours, but does this mean that the works will start i.e. if I defined 7:00 am as the starting hour, it will start at 7:30 am and finish at 4:30 pm and 60 seconds for an 8 hour/day work?

now my Boss has instructed me to use several calendars, what would be the worst thing to happen?
Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
As far as date calculations are concerned OD of 8 hours = 1 day if calender is defined as 8 working hours = 1 day. However what P5/P6 displays as OD depends on ’User Preference’ definition of hours per day. This is a fault with the system. Prevents use of different working day definitions within a project. But just another of the many Primavera ’enhancement requests’.
Benjamin Mora
User offline. Last seen 11 years 2 days ago. Offline
Wow. Thanks I did not know that. So, if I put in an OD of 8, that equals one day, depending on the calendar’s work hours?

This sounds very odd.
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Benjamin,

I’m not an expert in the migration process, but as a general contractor you should pay attetion to several issues by using P6 instead of P3. here below some of them:

Solution ID: prim11555
Goal Does Project Manager/Project Management have a "Progress Line" feature like P3?
Primavera answer: This issue is an existing Enhancement Request.

Can we establish as default setting days rather than hours in user preference?
Primavera answer:This issue has already been sent to development and they are aware of its importance. Beyond that there is not much informing that can be done.

Ability to display durations in days in Claim Digger / Schedule Analyzer
Primavera answer: This issue is an existing Enhancement Request.

P6 is based on Hours and NOT on days for calculation. For units and durations, when you specify a unit of time other than hours, Primavera uses the Admin Preference or User Preference settings for Hours per Time Period to convert hours to the time increment you specify. Primavera uses the Admin Preference settings only when the Admin Preference option to ’Allow users to specify the number of work hours for each time period’ is not selected. If that option is selected, Primavera uses the Hours per Time Period settings on this tab.

I Quote Mr. Eastwood Harris on the subject:
"You will find the same issue with many products on the market including SureTrak and MSP. They all have one factor to convert hours to days and when there are two calendars with different hours per day the one summary duration is incorrect.
It is sad to see that a new product such as Primavera Enterprise does not have a factor for each calendar to convert hours to days. Asta PowerProject is one product that does convert each calendars hours to days with a factor for each calendar.
Your options I know off are:
1. Have the same number of hours per day calendar
2. Display all durations in hours
3. Run a global change to calculate the correct durations in days in a Custom Field
This issue makes it very hard for construction companies to run multiple projects in one Primavera database and my clients and I are coming to the conclusion that they will need one database per project, which adds a considerable admin overhead and destroys the point of an Enterprise system.
Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia"

P6 does not support sub-projects!

Installing MSP 2007 will disable the ability for P6 and P5 to import mpp files!

Hoping it will help...
JK