Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Costs (Customer v Actual)

2 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am coming to the next phase of my planning in P5. Uptil now it’s been building 20+ projects so we know where we are and where we are going. The next step is building in the costs. This is where it gets interesting!

The intention is follow the costs we charge to the customer. So some resources in house arent charged to the customer. So i want to know whether to track the actual cost to us as well as the actual cost to the customer - these will be different as explained above. So is this possibly? and how (what fields to use)?

So we have:

Budget (The tender cost)
Actuals (The cost to customer)
??? (The cost to us)

I may need to speak to the ccountant on how we deal with the in-directs and find a new procedure for future projects.

Cheers in advance.

Replies

Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks Rodel. At least I know its possible. This will be implemented at a later date but at least now I can set things up with thi knowledge.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Mark,

There are so many ways of how to deal with your query as explain below.

First you need a cost centre or CBS “Cost Breakdown Structure” for Client and CBS for Sub-contractor so you can identify easily what’s cost chargeable to client and cost billable to your company.

Approach 1: You can set the resources for Client and resource for subcon and use the filter and sorting to identify each cost and when calculating EV. Make sure each cost are allocated on their respective CBS.

Approach 2: You can use resources for Client and expenses field for subcon. For EV calculation you might have difficulties if you are not familiar on PMDB database field and doing some work around to separate the calculation. But it good for monitoring purposes only and cost tracking. Again must allocate per their respective cost centre or CBS.

Approach 3: You can use WBS Summary activity for Client with assign resources against its level and detail activity for Subcon with assign resources. When calculating EV use filter for all WBS summary task for Client and Non WBS summary task for Subcon. Same as above must allocate per their respective CBS.

Approach 4: Use normal setup with resources for Clients and use users define field for Subcon. EV calculation for subcon can use global change on another users define field for Subcon EV fields. S-Curve is not possible for users define field.

For me the best approach is 1 but its up to you on how want to monitor your project cost and which one is simple for you.

Hope this help,
Rodel