Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XLS Resource imports in P5

8 replies [Last post]
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
All,

I have unsuccessfully tried to import resources from excel into P5. I export the template before re-importing with the resource information attached, using excel, but it never works ?

How I miss the P3 version which worked using DBF files.

Can you actually import resources into P5 using Excel ?

Keep Planning,

Kevin.

Replies

Ezequiel Martinez
User offline. Last seen 17 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
When importing from excel you need to have the correct tab name for the table that it is going to aswell as the correct column headers.

In order for you to align correctly, export the already created project to xls, but make sure that you select the resources and resources assignments check box too.

Then go through the tabs and populate the information according to the columns.

Take that same xls file with your updates and import the xls file back into P5.

You should be set at this point, but to be honest, I don’t trust any data going in and out of P5 this way. QA my friend...

Hope this helps...
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
A way to get around the import problems with Excel is to copy/paste the Excel file into MSP. Then create a dummy activity in the MPP, assign all resources to the dummy activity, and then import the MPP. (make sure you use the resource initials as key and that these are unique).

I’ve used it a lot and it works fine!
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
In P3 the database index field is the Resource Name or Activity Code and can be created on import.

In Primavera Enterprise the index field is hidden from the user and is created when a data item is created by the user but cannot be imported as part of an activity import. You will see in the log file that the data is ignored.

I doubt there will be no change with version 6, unless other import tools are developed.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Kevin Matthews
Hi Paul,

Does P6 address this issue at all ?

Thanks,

Kevin.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
There is a distinct difference between the way P3 imports and P5. To import Resources, Activity Codes, Calendars etc in P5 the Resource, Activity Codes, Calendars etc has to exist in the database first. P5 will not create these data items on import in the way P3 does.

If you have a large amount of Resources to import then you will probably have to use RA.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Kevin Matthews
Hello Arvin,

I know how it ’should’ work but unfortunately, like a lot of software, what actually happens is quite different.

I am hoping P6 solves this undocumented issue.
Keep Planning,

Kevin.
Arvin Dayday
User offline. Last seen 16 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kevin,

Yes you can import resource from excel easily. In P3e there are 5 excel sheet names in importing columns from excel. TASK for Activites, TASKPRED for Activities Relationship, PROJCOST for Expenses, RSRC for Resources, TASKRSRC for Resource Assignments. Aside from these sheet names(codes) you also have to assign correct column CODES on every activity. Like for example, the code for Activity ID is “task_code” and for Original Duration is “target_drtn_hr_cnt” and so on.

So if you want to import resources from excel your sheet name should be RSRC, you can name any file name of your file but your excel sheet name should be RSRC. Your column might be; rsrc_short_id or Resource ID, rsrc_name or Resource Name, rsrc_type or Resource Type and so on.

You can check your imported resource by clicking assign resource then find that resource in a search area.

cheers,

Arvin (nivs_sluck@yahoo.com)

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kevin
As far as I know this was solved by a service pack. In 5.0 "native" it didn’t work.

Regards
Dieter