Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Matrix Report in P5

5 replies [Last post]
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Has anybody been able to create a matrix report in P5? The Primavera Knowledgebase says it can’t be done, Primavera Australia say it can be done but I don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on consultancy only to find it’s really not possible. I also don’t want to use any other products eg Excel, Access, Crystal Reports.

Using the Report Editor I have created a report with a system of Activity Codes and dates, where each date field on the report has its own filter, and a set of activities are grouped by a particular activity code value. Anyway, my problem now is that I want all of the dates in a group of activities to be on the same line, and this is the only area where my matrix report is failing.

I don’t think there is any way around it but I would like to know if anybody else has had any luck with matrix reports. If I know it’s possible I will keep going, but I don’t want to spend hours or days on this if it’s just a dream.

Cheers

Replies

DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I have also not been able to generate a Cross Tab reports in P5, where you have either Drawings/Mat Requisitions as row separators & their milestones as Column Separators.
These are the normal planning reports which is invariably published in almost all the projects.
In P3 we used to get a Matrix report either activity or resource based, but in P5 i export the info to excel & use Pivot tables to create the reports.

Dattatreya
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Kevin,

I’m not sure if you are looking for a crosstab report. Can you send me a PM and if possible your email address so I can have a better understanding on your problem.

Regards,
Rodel
Kevin Button
OK the formatting didn’t work, so as soon as the ’Edit’ icon appears on my last post I will fix it.
Kevin Button
Thanks for the reply Paul

I want to display dates. I have activities that are grouped by a specific contract number. Some of those activities (milestones) have an activity code assigned to indicate whether that milestone date is "Expression of interest closes", "Tender documents complete", "Contract approved for Award" etc etc. This activity code was created so that the date for an activity with a particular code value would appear at a specific spot on the report (eg 4.3cm from left). This way I can get dates spread across the screen to match the headings.

Example of what I want:

Contract Milest 1 Milest 2 Milest 3 Milest 4
C.001 01/04/08 03/05/08 20/07/08 15/09/08
C.002 07/05/08 23/04/08 13/06/08 29/08/08

Each of these dates belongs to a different milestone. Each date field has a specific filter, so that if a milestone has a code value matching the filter for Milest 2, that date appears under the Milest 2 Date heading.

The report data source puts dates for different activities on different lines as it loops through the activities that have Contract C.001, eg:

Contract Milest 1 Milest 2 Milest 3 Milest 4
C.001 01/04/08
03/05/08
20/07/08
15/09/08

I hope this makes sense (and that the formatting works OK)
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
What data do you want to display?

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au