Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Required Computer Components for P6

9 replies [Last post]
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think that I should warn potential P6 users that their computer may not be compatible to upgrading to Primavera’s newest offering. The upgrade from P5 to P6 also carries with it considerable minimum support requirements. I just spent the past 10 days finding out this information.

1) P6 does not run on computers using XP Home Edition. It was tested on XP Professional and it turns out that the new SQL 2005 Express requires IIS that is absent from the Home Edition. If you have XP Home Edition and want to upgrade to P6, you will first need to upgrade to XP Professional.

2) It is most likely that P6 will not run on computers using the AMD CPU chip. In particular, I know that SQL 2005 Express will not run on AMD K6 CPUs.

3) Primavera specifies as a minimum that you should have a Intel CPU running at 2.8 GHz. Intel Dual or Quad core CPUs do not help as SQL 2005 Express only looks for one CPU.

4) You will also need 1 GB of available RAM. Seeing how the operating system and other things will require ½ of a GB, then this means that you need 1.5 GB of RAM.

I eventually got P6 running on my brand new 2.1 GHz Vista with an Intel dual-core CPU, but it runs real slow in some spots. The problem really is not with Primavera’s product but with the Microsoft SQL 2005 Express that you have to install to support the databases. The Primavera Tech Support was supper (both smart and patient.) Without their Support Staff, I never would have made it.

Replies

Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
General comment: I suggest you to install on MSDE instead of SQLExpress. It requires much less memory, and it works on XP Home as well.

Also you can install all the software including Windows client, myPrimavera, Collaboration server and even Timesheet server on the same machine, which can be XP; but I suggest you to have at least 1GB memory if you want to run myPrimavera with collaboration server. On the other hand, if you will install it as desktop, you won’t need collaboration server :)

Another option is using virtual pc or virtual server; but this option requires more power and additional windows license for the virtual machine.

Hope this helps,

Ahmet Cetin
Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried to install as described in admin reference guide but I could not do it as that was not that clear.

Primavera described a procedure on their knowledge base, that is better. I could install when I followed that.

Dinesh Kumar
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Diesh.
Very simple, following admin guide file which was on CD3, then you can have myPrimavera standalone.
Before using myPrimavera you need to start Tomcat (application server) on your laptop. It occupy lots of Ram, nearly 256Mb.

Thanks
Khuong
Ronald Winter
I have no idea. Perhaps others may know something that might help. Good luck!
Dinesh Kumar Dama...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ronald,

How to install myPrimavera (P6) on a stand alone computer?

Thanks & regards

Dinesh Kumar
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald:

For a stand-alone user, do we have a better option than SQL 2005 Express in terms of performance? For example, perhaps one that takes advantage of a dual core CPU.

Thank you
Ronald Winter
Primavera lists Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4) as a supported client platform but I don’t understand your question. If you have a dedicated server for P6, then you have a IT staff (or person) who gets paid to worry about that stuff. Upgrading the OS on a server is just part of the normal process of maintenance in situations like that. I am more concerned about the P6 users without a support staff who have to handle this monster on their own.

By the way, are you considering loading P6 on your laptop to take to meetings or home with you? You will be a stand-alone user then. Good lick!
Susan Young
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Will P6 run with Windows 2000 OS ? I am not referring to a stand-alone version.

Thanks
Steven Wood
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
You can run P6 on Windows XP Home by using MSDE/SQL 2000 instead of SQL 2005.

My P6 is running quite happily on a 3GHz Pentium 4 under Windows XP Home with 512Mb of RAM.

I upgraded my P5 to P6 using the new CD and upgraded my existing database which runs under MSDE.

I have had no problems.