Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Top Down Estimating in P3e

5 replies [Last post]
Emmanuel Udo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I would appreciate if anybody out there can give me a step-by-step guide on preparing a Top Down Estimate in P3e.
Kind regards.

Emmanuel

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I write an article regarding How does “Top Down Estimation” in Primavera P6 work?

If you're interested, kindly read it here https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/how-does-top-down-estimation-in-primavera-p6-work/

Cheer

S Z
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

I want to estimate MANPOWER that is required to complete a project: I have a plan with thousands of activities, duration, start and end dates but don't know how many resources do i require to complete it.

So how can i estimate it in Primavera 6 in Top Down Estimate? Please explain and i would really appreciate the snapshot/video tutorial for this.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Emmanuel,
You open your project with the view "WBS". You click onto the detail tab "Budget log".
The first level is the project itself, the others are the different levels of the WBS. Now you enter the appropriate figures.
Later, after you planned your activities with workload*price/unit and the expenses you’ll be able to compare on any level if your plan corresponds to your budget.

Reards
Dieter
Emmanuel Udo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
I want to estimate money at both EPS and WBS levels.
Kind regards.

Emmanuel
Peter Scheidegger
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Emannuel,

I would try to help you, but I need to know what you are
planning to do?

Do you want to make a "Top Down Estimate" in order to
compare your estimation with your schedule?
Which values do you want to estimate? (money, people, material? Anything else then money will be very difficult.)
Would you estimate the availiable money on the project and WBS-Level or also on EPS-Level?
Would you estimate the money in one block per EPS / Project / WBS or also by month?

Kind regards
Peter