Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help in Developing Business Case for P5

9 replies [Last post]
Simon Cuff
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I would appreciate a little help in filling in some blanks on a business case I am developing for the provision of a project management system and some options.

I wish to make a case for Primavera Enterprise P5 and would like some ballpark figures to see if the option is at all viable.

What would be a typical ‘estimate’ of cost to procure P5 for 10-15 users excluding hardware i.e. software, install and configure, training etc.

What would be a realistic turnaround time to procure and install such a system?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Alex

See my PM to you regarding the meaning of WTF. The moderator didn’t like it, even though I didn’t include any swear words. ??

KB
Kevin Button
Alex

I guess that having worked for a dealer for three years not too long ago I know that people get all sorts of information regarding pricing. Each business has different needs (particularly regarding integration) so I would only ever contact the dealer for pricing. Some solutions include software, integration, training and ongoing support, eg pre-paid support hours. I am not saying that your information is incorrect, but it may not be relevant for any other company. If a company has a need for implementing a software solution (payroll, HR, planning etc) they know that the cost will be considerable and a ballpark figure seems a bit too loose to make any sort of decision with. It is worth spending the time for a proper evaluation.

Training - I don’t understand why a previous P3 user needs more training than a non P3 user. A Primavera authorised course is the same for everyone. 102 (basic) course advertised price is $2K for 3 days training. 106 (advanced) course is the same outlay as 102. Migration from P3 to P3e V5 is $1400 and 2 days.

Integration – I don’t understand what you mean by SQL integration costing $10K, do you mean an integration using MS Access and the Primavera SDK? Primavera will run on both Oracle or SQL Server and Impress will integrate SAP with Primavera regardless of the database type. I am guessing that when you say ‘SQL integration’ you mean an integration using MS Access and the Primavera SDK.

I can’t answer your last question about spending on my last P3-P5 project, thankfully I don’t have a say in software and training costs. It is good that somebody else has to worry about that. We did recently have a two day customised course run by Primavera Australia with elements of the 102 and 106 courses. We picked out the topics that we wanted covered, they put the package together and the end result was very good. I have no idea what it cost the company but I’m sure it was not cheap.

[] I was puzzled by your statements regarding training and integration so I was being sarcastic.

Cheers

KB
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Kevin

Dont be upsad, its just a estimate,

I guess the reason why Simon ask in this forum for a estimate is because we had expereince to share. Yes you can ask the dealer, everyone will said their system are the best and can do everything you ask for.

But we "non-dealer experts" but i never call myself an expert -- anyway -- go thought the pain of implemented system understand, and see the real cost of behind such a project.

How many time we call the Dealer and ask for a quote can esaily come back with a real break down cost quickly, especailly he is only talking about 15 user licenses.

Anyway back to my comments , I know i can generate some hot debet here.

Training P3 suer $2k non P3 user $1k ---- the reason is you need to train the P3 user twice before they accept the system... thats why?? Thats my expereince, How much is the 101 course here in Australia cost, 3 days course is A$1500 each person and you need min 4 but ideally 8 to run a course, am I right.

Integration - With SAP millions, with SQL Databse $10k-WTF?
Anything assoicate with SAP cost million, you can see my posting, I had Impress (SAP integration) come to us and selling their package, I quoted their average package is aournd the million mark. And with SQL integration, depends on the complexity the basic reporting, I had a quotation from Primavera Australia is around A$10k.

As a nondealer and non expert, thats the only contribution I can give.

So how much you spend in your last P3-P5 project, can you share a bit more with us

Alex
Kevin Button
Training - P3 users $2k, non P3 user $1k (dont ask me y)-WTF?
Integration - With SAP millions, with SQL Databse $10k-WTF?

This is exactly why people should get a quote from a dealer and not half truths from non-dealer ’experts’.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Simon

Can give you some idea about the cost of implementation of such system and some pros and cons of the system you mentioned

P5
HW - US$ 10k - 15k
SW - $1-4k per person
Training - P3 users $2k, non P3 user $1k (dont ask me y)
Integration - With SAP millions, with SQL Databse $10k
Pros - Excellent Project Management Package, Industry endorsed end regonised, some contract is a pre-requestist for planning software, easy to use for new user, flexible, user friendly, web capability, enable to handle simple document control, secure login, support remote site operation, portfolio management capability.
Cons - Difficult for existing P3 user, Too much control @ local user level, expensive, not enought well trained operator (planner) around the globe, Resource schedule is not intelligent, Reporting is difficult, same as integration...

MSP
HW - US$ 0- 15k
SW - $1k per person
Training - none (as long as know how to perate a computer)
Integration - With SAP millions, with SQL Databse $10k
Pros - Most user friendly system, easy to integrate with Microsoft product, Cheapest to setup and operate, flexible, lot of people can operate the system.
Cons - Create too many cowboy planners, consider as the MM software in planning domain, not endorsed by many major projects,

SAP
HW - Million
SW - Million
Training - Million
Integration Million
Pros - if your company is already using SAP then you can save 1-2 million to implement the system,
Cons - Expensive, non user friendly like operate in MS-DOS 6.0, Report is crxx, resource leveling is no good, you need a team of consultant to invate your company, spend million and tell you how to operate SAP instead of your business.

Anyone got a different view??

Alex
Simon Cuff
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Thats why I asked for a ball park figure to know wether we are talking MS, SAGE or SAP prices.

I have had some very useful input via private messages and this enabled me to judge the best method to present my business case and develop relevant stakeholder involvement.

Thanks for the input.
Ramon Granados
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Absolutely agreed
Kevin Button
Simon

While this forum might give you a rough idea, you will need to contact your local Primavera rep for an accurate price, because volume discounts might apply for both software and the training that will be needed.

Cheers
Ramon Granados
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Simon:
last year, we implemented a similar case.
It depends on how you configure the solution. in our case We bought the P3ec licence as the mother and 10 Suretrack licences. In addition you must buy a server exclusively for P3ec, SQL, cables and the rest of the stuff.
If I recall exactly we are talking approximately USD 25,000 (Dubai Prices). It takes one week to get everything running and one year to do the fully implementation if people are previosly trained in Primavera.