Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SF (Start to Finish)

6 replies [Last post]
Amir Dadbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys
I’ve found some thing really strange (at least for me), I want to relate to activities with SF (Start to Finish) relationship. I call those activity A and B and duration of both is 2 days.
A / Predecessor: B SF
A>>> start date: 2-Dec-2007 8:01 AM & finish date: 4-Dec-2007 8:01 AM
B>>> start date: 4-Dec-2007 8:00 AM & finish date: 5-Dec-2007 16:00 PM
As I know, “A” should be finished before “B” will be started but It’s not happened!!
And “A” is continued up to 1 minute after “B” will be started.
My questions are:
1-Why “A” started on 8:01 am instead of 8:00 am?
2-How “A” can be started on 8:00 am without using any Constraint or Lag? (It will be caused that “A” will be finished on time ex: 3-Dec-2007 16:00 pm).
Thanks in advance
amir

Replies

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ronald,

Is it possible that P5 is just rounding up the finish of 08:59.99999999 to coincide with our understanding that, for all practical purposes, it is 09:00 – albeit for an infinitesimally short period?

James.
Amir Dadbakhsh
Guys
I am an Oil project planner, so 1 minute is not important in my job and also I usually choose day as unit date instead of hour :)
But here should be a reason that why primavera starts described activity on 8:01 am instead of 8:00

Amir Dadbakhsh
Dear Ronald
In a sample project define an activity with 1 hr duration and consider its start date as 8:00 am, you will find that program calculate finish date as 9:00 am not 8:59 am
Amir
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 4 days 1 hour ago. Offline
You will get a great response from Primavera on this one.
All about 24 hr calendars v 5*8 hr calendars, the hours option switched on or off, activities finishing or not finishing at 00.00, and scheduling to data dates without specifying yje hour of day etc.
It obviously only makes sense to the software programmers!!
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Amir,

P5 starts work at the beginning of the minute and finishes work at the end of the minute. If an activity started at 8:00 am and finished at 9:00 am, then that would constitute a total of 61 minutes! To get 60 minutes in an hour, work has to start at 8:01 am and finish at 9:00 am. Good luck!
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
we know. This has been an "issue" since version 3.0. I HATE sf relationships, can’t you use the zero free float constraint with FS instead?