Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Remote Access

3 replies [Last post]
Dave Rodwell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
I am coming to a phase in my project where up to six additional planning teams will be incorporated, although they will be in different geographic locations around the UK. Each of the teams will be building up their part of the programme and inputting it to me. P3e is likely to be the preferred tool, I am using P3 at present.

They will then need to update their progress remotely. The programme will also include interfaces between each teams work i.e. into other team members areas.

My questions are:
Q1 -Can P3e be set up to accept multiple remote users adding to and, updating the file.
Q2 - How can I best manage the interface issue?

All help is welcome

Dave

Replies

Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Dave.

> 1. Would the users need to access a common server.
Yes, all users access the same server, which is either running SQL or Oracle. Also timesheet users go to the same DB but they connect through a groupserver and IIS.

> 2.A perceived problem may be with relationships from one user to another.
The access to the EPS (a super WBS connecting all projects together) and WBS is controlled through roles and security profiles. You can determine what is user can view, alter, add, or delete; not only at the project level but also down to the individual WBS elements.

> 3.If there is not a common access point how would I manage the interfaces.
Please see above.

Hope this helps,

Niek.
Dave Rodwell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Nick,
Many thanks for the information. I have some more specific questions for you.

1. Would the users need to access a common server.
2.A perceived problem may be with relationships from one user to another.
3.If there is not a common access point how would I manage the interfaces.
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi David,

P3e is designed to do this and offers an entire array of options; from full blown scheduling capabilities, to basic browser based activity status updates with time tracking.

Hope this helps,

Niek.