Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can it be really applied at an enterprise level...

2 replies [Last post]
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am working/struggling with P3 e/c for the last about 6 months. Apparently it is not really bad; it has a lot of new things and has enabled me to produce a little more ‘beautiful’ work. Though, I am really doubtful when I think of its application at an organization level. I am working through corporate office and have to maintain a number of different projects and have found the under mentioned as a pain in the neck.

1.     There is a single resource pool (which is good) though to consider the ’Unit Rate ($) of a Resource’ same for all projects in an organization is not practical. In reality things are not that simple i.e if i have 5 D8s (Dozers), three that have been deployed on one project will have a similar rate while the other two would be having a different rate.
2.     For some project I use retained logic and for some I use ‘over-ride’, and now I have to remember these settings for each project as P3e/c does not remeber these settings for individual projects.
3.     Some projects are 11 hrs a day and some 10 hrs/day and some 8 hrs/day and it calls for playing with defaults (Admin>user preferences) to suit for each opened project. Just for the reason that I want to see correct duration in days, this ‘playing’ with enterprise level defaults is really troublesome.
4.     Just to bring a correct duration on Activity Code bars I have to change the default calendar to the calendar that has been used for the project.
5.     Layouts are at enterprise level and are user specific and can’t be filtered for different projects.

I know that finding ‘work arounds’ is a part of our job though I think this P3e/c is asking for too much. I would look forward to the comments of users that have faced the same while making it run at an organization level.

Regards
Rashid

Replies

Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Rashid,

I agree, the possibilities for changing settings are a bit overwelming, However it allows us to adjust the schedule settings for every project at many levels.
Yes this can be problem, my tip is.
Make a template for yourself of all settings. every new schedules start with this schedule and from this point you can adjust to what the customers want. (this is how i do it)

Kind regards

Henk
Dougie Murphy
User offline. Last seen 4 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rashid

We’re using Temaplay (have been told very similiar to P3e)in place I work and using/extracting enterprise data. Worked with P3 since 94 and would never want to go back to the master/subproject. Latest version replacing Teamplay/P3 (Primavera 5.0) is functionally a lot better than older versions. once you get your head round it things will be ok.

Your points

1.Latest version allows 5 different cost rates per individual resource i.e. same person can work on 5 different projects with 5 different rates.
2. Standardise on one or the other
3. Use project specific calanders. Watch use of resource dependant task types.
4. ???
5. Layouts can be global or user specific. At enterprise level projects if structured properly will fit into the global layout you want. Everyone can have access to Global Units.

Do you administer P3e?

Regards

Dougie