Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Extracting data from baseline in current programme

1 reply [Last post]
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am reposting my yesterday’s problem with revised subject title.

Usually, a version of programme is saved after every monthly update. To get the incremental data for the current month, one can use last month’s update as baseline. It is then possible to use the user_defined numbers to calculate the incremental value. Eg, Incremental (this month’s) earned value cost = Current earned value cost - BL earned value cost.

It is simple logic but P3ec does not seem to provide all BL variables for such operations in global change. Some more BL data are available for display in column but still not all of them.

Does anybody has idea how to get all the data items of the BL for comparison to the current (without using excel)?

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
You don’t. It is amazing that despite saving the entire project with all of its fields in the baseline - after all if you "restore" the baseline you get the whole project back - you cannot access all the fields in the baseline. Primavera must have had a long, complicated meeting to decide what fields people might want, what was wrong with "all of them"?

Given that you now have unlimited user defined fields, the only approach is that after every progress update, you could create a new user defined field to hold "this weeks" data. I know this is the way we did it with Artemis 20 years ago. Sigh.

HOWEVER in version 5 we have full "Earned value history" - this will remove a lot of these difficulties. You need to investigate this feature of version 5 fully.