Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 to P3ec 3.5.1 conversion - errors

3 replies [Last post]
Dhananjay Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 21 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I tried to convert the project from P3 to P3ec. but to my disappointment, after rescheduling in p3ec it is showing me -ve total float. but the same schedule in p3 does not have any -ve float. i checked calendars, data date, duration types, advanced scheduling options(tried all different options, even lag calendars). everything seems ok. but still it shows -ve total float.

my project has must finish date, which i used in scheduling option too.

am i missing on something? please help.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
We have the same problem, but caused by calendar, not sure why

Suresh Kumar
Dhananjay Kulkarni
User offline. Last seen 21 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Paul for your views and suggestion.

I found the differneces between p3 and p3ec like Original duration, remaining duration. so i changed those in p3ec. and somehow managed the -ve total float to -1 now.
I think, that remaining -1 total float is because of level of effort which was hammock in p3.

Anyway, thnaks a lot.

Dhananjay
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
I am unable to specifically tell you why your project is giving negative float but here are some things to think about.

All scheduling products calculate differently and importing a schedule is a data conversion not a project conversion and when I end up with the same answer after converting anything but a simple project especially one with progress I would consider myself very lucky.

To find the problem you should look at the start and finish dates and floats of the activities one at a time from the start until you find difference. At this point you may wish to check the calendars, lags and lag calendar. Primavera Enterprise has an option of 4 lag calendars, not just the predecessor as in P3. Check the autocost rules maybe the Remaining Duration has calculated differently or you may find a constraint has been handled differently. I have noticed that P3e handles Expected Finish Constraints differently to P3 when an Activity has progress, but I have not work through the issues to find out why.

Regards
Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au