Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Premavera P3 Problems..

14 replies [Last post]
BONG YAGAHON
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hello guys..Do you Have any Problems in Primavera P3?  Post it here and lets solve it together.....

Replies

BONG YAGAHON

The "INVALID PROJECT NAME" error occurs when you fill up the project name box, but the project that you are copying is not under a project group. In other words, you should only fill up this box, if the project that you are copying is created or belonged to a project group. Try to copy the project again and type the new file name on the Project Group box. Type the new title if you want to change the new title and click copy. If it doesnt work, check the directory structure as advised by Mr. Winter.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

If your are being told, "Invalid Project Name," you are probably trying to ‘bury’ the schedule too deep in the file structure.  P3 can only address directory names (including the project name) a maximum of 64 charters in total.  Move your schedule up higher to, say C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS\ and try that.

Another possibility is that you are using invalid characters.  P3 project names must be 4 characters long and may only contain numbers or letters.  Spaces and other grammatical characters are not allowed.  Good luck!

Ariel Malibiran
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

My problem with P3 is that I can't copy a project using the Tools, Project Utilities...I always get "INVALID PROJECT NAME", Any solution?

BONG YAGAHON

Ferdi,

That was all my post. I will wait for Justin to reply first.

Nope. Im not using that. Opening is not a problem. You can always open DBF format in excel 2007. The problem is you can not save DBf format in excel. That means you cannot save your edits in DFB format using excel sheets. But as i have said i found the solution.

Pio

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Pio

you did not finish your last post i think

are you using addins like savedbf to open dbf files in excel 07?

BONG YAGAHON

Hello Justin,

Are you a Filipino? The solution is very easy.. I will only tell you the magic word and you will know what to do..

This has been my problem a few years back when i started using office 2007. By constant research and imagination..i found a way!! I can't even believe my self when i discovered how easy it was..Now i am happily using it and im free of burden some resource loadng on my schedule...Are you ready?

Regards,

Pio

Justin James
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar, TILOS

Hai Everyone,I have a problem in P3 regarding importing  , after creating a normal XL file , i am trying to change the format into DBF OR WK1 but in my office edition 2007 , there in no OPTION DBF or WK1 format in the "save as" tab , then how i can do import a normal XL file into P3, Pl let me know ur ideas in this, RegardsJustin
BONG YAGAHON

hello Mohd,

Before anything else, i would like to know if your schedule is fully loaded with resources (each of the task activities). If it is,  have you define the unit price of each resource in your resource dictionary? If you have then follow the following sequence:

1. click tools > graphic report>resource and cost.

2. Then click add and define the title as S-Curve (if you need another title then use it).

3. Then click the tool bars and enter the parameters that correspond to your needed output.

4. For definition of the tool bars click help at the bottom right corner of the P3 dialogue box.

5. After the parameters were entered click run, then click OK on the next dialogue box that will appear then YES, and you will have your  S-Curve in a few seconds.

Hope this helps. Good luck..

PRYT

Mohd Fadhli
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

hello....anybody can help me how to create physical & financial s - curve using P3. Please give me the step to create the       s-curve.

tq.

Deff Usman
User offline. Last seen 4 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Mr Brent,

Can you help me to solve my problem in Primavera 3.0, I am not into detail of Resources, i am only using Primavera for scheduling in order to arrive S-Curve And Barchart,,, 

1.0 Case1... If I have 90 Calendar days contract versus 100000 thousand Contract Amount... what is the help of Resources in Primavera to arrive accurate distribution of Cost to its Activity.

2.0  Case 2...... My Activity has appropriate budget,, what is the connection of resources? do i need to input the resources?how it works please explain,,

Thanks for the time.

regards,

BONG YAGAHON

hello Brent,

After restoring the PRX file, on you newly fixed PC, have you openned it? or was it asking for a target schedule?

Is the PRX file that you currently restore and found the reports not showing, the latest PRX file that contain those report?

Check the criteria of your tabular report dialogue box and make sure they are the same with the original PRX of yours. (i.e. sort parameters, time period etc..)

Check also the resources on the resource dictionary, maybe the dictionary of the PRX file that you restore is empty.

Lastly, go to the other computer in your office where the same PRX file is showing the report, make a back up (PRX) of the current and target schedule then copy the 2 PRX file on your newly IT'd PC and restore these 2 PRX file on C:\P3WIN\PROJECTS folders..open the current schedule and go to your tabular reports..

Hope this helps..

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 51 min 19 sec ago. Offline

P3 transfer reports

Maybe you already transferred the report specifications and you are missing the Note  that reminds you to modify project specific data such as activity codes and dates to correspond to your project.

Check on help about the other transfer options.

Good luck,

Rafael

Brent Ellis
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

I have very specific reports I need to print out each month for the US Corps of Engineers.  I had all these reports in all of my schedules.  My hard drive recently froze, and I had to reinstall P3 after my IT Dept fixed the computer.  Now all of these reports do not show up.  They are production reports (both tabular & graphic).  The same PRX file on other computers shows the correct reports, and I've tried transferring them in from past PRX files that used to have the correct reports to run.  Please help!  I've even tried reinstalling P3 on my computer.  I am running XP 32-bit.  Please help!!

Brent Ellis
User offline. Last seen 13 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

I have very specific reports I need to print out each month for the US Corps of Engineers.  I had all these reports in all of my schedules.  My hard drive recently froze, and I had to reinstall P3 after my IT Dept fixed the computer.  Now all of these reports do not show up.  They are production reports (both tabular & graphic).  The same PRX file on other computers shows the correct reports, and I've tried transferring them in from past PRX files that used to have the correct reports to run.  Please help!  I've even tried reinstalling P3 on my computer.  I am running XP 32-bit.  Please help!!