Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The difference between Primavera Version 3 and Primavera version 6

9 replies [Last post]
Danielle
User offline. Last seen 13 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Since I only have experience of Primavera version 6, can someone please confirm the difference between version 3 and version 6?

Many thanks

Danielle

Replies

Ponnaganti Sridhar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi! Daniel,

My views are also same almost.

i don't find much difference in P3 and P6  APart from a few difference 

1. Main difference is In P6 Enterprise Node is introuduced.

2. Some features as limitation of 48 Characters for activity Description in P3 is removed in P6 , but if this can be done in P3 it would be nice.

3. P6 it makes bit confusive in idenfying the nodes and the sub nodes and projects , to open them all othere things and graphics also for every headder a summary bar (if not requred we reomve but it is by default) P3 is simple quite readble.

4. it is bit confusive to the options in P6 .

And many other things , i prefer P6 but now days some companies are asking do you P6 ... but they them self does exactly what P3 will Perform and P6 will perform. they just ask has to that they are useing upgraded version

Regards,

P.Sridhar.

Evaristus Ujam
User offline. Last seen 12 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Guys,

Thanks for opening my eyes to the capabilities of P6. I have stuck to my P3 and still do. Abinitio, I thought   I was missing a lot.  I now know better and am in no way,  in a hurry  to upgrade.

Ujam

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Agree with Danelll

have used P3,3.1 and continue to do so, does what I want best. The Big Differience between P3 3.1 and P6 is that

when P5 came out, almost everyone in the business had P3 3.0 and were very happy with it, however Sales had dropped with Primavera simply becuase no one was buying any more,  So to Create a new market and upgreade Sales, Primavera issued P5 claiming all new bells and wistles, and convienced many companys that they had to buy the new version.

Many clients were just Purchasing agents for new companies, and enjoyed being wined and dined by Primavera Salesmen, so on behalf of their company without even consulting the people using P3, they bought the new product,and it was FORCED on the end users.

Many of us (planners) hated it and stuck with P3. and just had to use our own p3 whom by that time everyone had a personal copy.

So today, Many people use a clumsy P6, but do not have the confidence in the Program that they had in P3 and many just keep two schedules, one in P6 and their personal one in P3 because they TRUST P3 and cannot Trust p6.

By the way, my Company still uses P3 3.1 and are very happy with the outcome, good schedules.

Lawrence Cuozzo
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Danielle,

To answer your question... it depends on what you are doing and what you expect out of your scheduling software.  I used P3 for many years and then our department decided to "upgrade" to P6, mainly because P3 was no longer supported by Oracle.  As others have said, each version has its advantages, but for me, it was not worth the cost and learning curve involved for the results it produces.  What you have to keep in mind is that its not an ugrade - the program still does the same things - but, it looks completely different.  The people in my department who were long-time P3 users didn't like it, but the newer people did.  The graphics are better, but in my opinion, there are a lot of things that are annoying and convoluted which make creating siimple schedules, difficult.  Granted, it works better with modern versions of Excel, etc. and you can manipulate data more ways, but if it were up to me, and I could do everthing I needed to do in P3, I would not upgrade. 

Lawrence

Danielle

Thanks Mike.  Please can you elaborate, is the upgrade worthwhile?

Danielle

Thanks Mike.  Please can you elaborate, is the upgrade worthwhile?

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Danielle,

Basically, they are the same, P6 is supposed to be an improved version of P3, There are good features in P3 that were eliminated in P6 and vice versa. Overall, P6 is more user friendly and has improved in some areas, for example in P3, the activity description is limited to 48 characters only. P3 is an old software and is no longer compatible with the latest softwares available in the market today like a simple conversion to PDF file, you need to use old converter like "Cute PDF". On the other hand P6 is more compatible with other softwares like excel and MS projects and many more.

Best regards,

Daniel

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Danielle,

Basically, they are the same, P6 is supposed to be an improved version of P3, There are good features in P3 that were eliminated in P6 and vice versa. Overall, P6 is more user friendly and has improved in some areas, for example in P3, the activity description is limited to 48 characters only. P3 is an old software and is no longer compatible with the latest softwares available in the market today like a simple conversion to PDF file, you need to use old converter like "Cute PDF". On the other hand P6 is more compatible with other softwares like excel and MS projects and many more.

Best regards,

Daniel

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Daniel

In my case about £2,500.00 - complete waste of money.

Best regards

Mike Testro