Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A Strange P3 Occurence.

3 replies [Last post]
Robin Reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
We are are working in a server environment using P3 ver 3.1. The setup is, One computer was assigned as a server wherein all the data were also saved. the seven members can have their P3 installed in each Pc and can simultaneously accessed the project saved in the server. While working, of course, each used should work in each layout. Recently, While we are working, we noticed activities that were copied (or should I say ghost activity) from one of the many activities with activity ID suffixed with a & b.
(i.e. Act ID XXXXXXX, ghost activities XXXXXXXa & XXXXXXXb)
Those "ghost" activities were even reflected on P3 Report but when we tried to accessed the activity in the P3 layout, a window will prompt that the activity is no longer in project and will automatically be deleted. I thought, that its just ok. But when we try to open again the next day, The said "ghost activities" came out again, and the same will happen if we try access it, it automatically deleted. Can anybody explain the reason of the occurence of that? Is it just normal for P3? . Thanks

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
After trying everything else, sometimes just using P3 to copy the schedule to a new schedule cleans-up problems that other efforts miss. Good luck!
Robin Reyes
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
P3 File Fixer is cool. I used it and the file size becomes smaller. And probable there are some corrupted files that was cleaned by the PFXW.exe.

But the ’ghost activities’ I mentioned still remains. So, What I did is, when the ’ghost activities’ showed up, I "cut" (Ctrl+X) it instead of delete it. After that, the ghost activities never showed up again.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
No, the behavior that you describe is not normal for P3. It sounds like a corrupt database. This can happen in P3 when multiple people access the same schedule at the same time (especially during power failures/computer crashes/etc.). It is time to drag out the old P3 File Fixer. On your computer, locate the following P3 program and run it,

C:\P3WIN\P3PROGS\PFXW.exe

Select the schedule in question, check all of the fix options at the bottom left of the screen, then Run. The Help button can educate you further. Good luck!