Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

LOOK AHEAD SCHEDULE

7 replies [Last post]
Francis Aborot
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi to all,

In my weekly look ahead, I have a column info as follows

1. Planned% as per baseline
2. Previous Look Ahead
3. Present % Complete
4. New Look Ahead %

I input % Comp, Actual Start, Actual Finish, and remaining duration. I run the schedule. I perform look ahead %...

Some activities will give less Look Ahead % compared to Present % Complete because P3 calculates % to complete based on remaining duration...

Can somebody helps?

Thnx,
Francis

Replies

Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 4 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Francis,

There are other options that are needed to be decided at the beginning of planning process.The autocost rules purely determines the all mentality.

If you are monitoring directly Earned Value from P3. Then I recommend you to use default options in Autocost rules. If you change the autocost rules, original durations, resources then you will have inproper variances. There are mitigations
for this:
-You need to update remaining duration, %, QTC or QAT manually (Or import-export from excel to be faster(macro difference)) at every update.
-You can remove the aotocost rules that autocalculates resoruces with %. You can update this datas manually also.

The most important aspect is that all of the changes that we are talking will be rejected by CLIENT. They want a clear CP and the updated programme which is same as the baseline (The reason can be contractual or only as procedures).

I can understand that they also want to see realistic lookaheads and end-dates in order to get decisions.

I have another suggestion that your CLIENT can approve. The important point about the schedule will be end-dates not %. So you can change your activities end dates with extra&dummy relations or constraints to achieve those end dates. You need to record all this extra relationships and report them.

Sorry for long thread. I will be happy if this thread gives opinion.

Regards,

Safak

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Francis,

Post #1 - Some activities will give less Look Ahead % compared to Present % Complete because P3 calculates % to complete based on remaining duration...

If you progressed this week ahead of your previous week look-ahead plan, then definitely you’ll have less % previous look-ahead % complete. There’s no relation between them during normal P3 calculations, except if you use GC options.

Kafo is right on his Post # 2 (basic P3 stuffs).

We normally use look-ahead schedules for reporting purposes to check periodically whether we are progressing as per current plan, and what its periodic impact on the overall baseline schedule more importantly if the project is delayed.

Cheers,
R. Catalan

Adekunle Arisilejoye
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Francis,
Could you explain hw u performed the following

2. Previous Look Ahead%
4. New Look Ahead %

Cheers
K
kafo souq
User offline. Last seen 15 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Francis

Based on your req. I think the solution I gave you is what you are looking for

Tell me how did you go

Cheers
Francis Aborot
Hi Kafo,

If I will follow your advise (if I understood it correctly), The result will give schedule variance... I tried many possibilities but I failed... But I will still check your advise.

Thnx and more power,
Francis
Francis Aborot
Hi Kafo,

That’s the story is all about, I cannot link the remaining duration with percent complete. Why? Because the realistic remaining duration of the activity in the site is different from the theoretical remaining duration in P3...

Other ideas please...

Thnx and more power,
Francis
kafo souq
User offline. Last seen 15 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
From P2 --> P3e

Go To Tools --> Options --> Autocost Rules

You shall find a box ticked that says "Link Remaining Duration and Schedule Percent complete"

Untick this box and you are ste to go

--> Note if you go to this option you have to update all 4 variables at each activity : i.e Actual Start , Actual Finish , % Complete & Remnaining Duration

Meaning that RD will not be calculated anymore and you have to estimate the Remaining days to go on each activity based on site conditions

Hope this answers your query