Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

running P3 on other than btrieve6.15

6 replies [Last post]
Gün Göksu
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I know P3 runs on Btrieve 6.15.

is it possible to switch the database component to something else? like an updated modern pervasive or sql database?

I am running on some performance & stability issues and would love to get on to some other database engine.

before you ask, the client is locked on P3 v3.1 and won’t upgrade to P6.

Thank you.

Replies

Gün Göksu
hmm..
I can not change the primavera software.

the hardware is core duo 2gb ram.

the network is a two machine network I isolated from the rest of the net.

that leaves the db engine.

I would like to use primavera under linux but that does not work I believe.
Gün Göksu
ping.

Sorry I need to find an answer to this problem.

Can I update btrieve6.5 to a higher pervasive version and still have Primavera P3 working?

if so, which version?

thank you
Gün Göksu
so...

what is the higher version of btrieve (pervasive) that both works with P3 and allows sql queries? if there is such a thing.

I’d like to upgrade the database side if possible to gain in performance while working with at least 2 people.

I am afraid I will have corruption problems later on.
Gün Göksu
Thank you very much for your post.

what you have said concerning differences with P6 I have found interesting.

the only thing I have not understood is "Version 6.15 is the lowest allowable Btrieve version for P3 V3.1".

does that mean that I can use a higher btrieve version? or that btrieve6.15 is the only btrieve that works.

Thank you.
Gün Göksu
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Nope, Btrieve is your sole option and Version 6.15 is the lowest allowable Btrieve version for P3 V3.1. The program was first designed over 24 years ago, back when the idea of using a third-party database manager was somewhat novel. Multi-platform SQL design was not in vogue until much later.

Btrieve is very stable as long as you keep the number of simultaneous users down, especially when working with the same schedule. Try to never to have more than three people logged into the same schedule at the same time. Also be sure that your P3 server is on a UPS; power outages are very hard on database integrity.

For stability, make sure that you are using P3 Service Pack 3. I also recommend that you run the Primavera file-fix utility “PFXW” on your schedules now and then. You can find this program on the server in the same directory that P3.EXE is in, or if P3 is installed on your computer, then look to C:\P3WIN\P3PROGS\PFXW.EXE. The internal Help File will tell you more.

P3 is a great program. Activities that are estimated in days remain that way. P6 schedules activities measured in days in a way that causes those activities to end on odd minutes and the predecessors to start on the same day as the predecessor finished. P3 working days are clear and unambiguous. The time-scaled logic diagrams are irreplaceable. P3 system maintenance is a pittance compared to P6 system maintenance. P3 training and experience counts for nothing when switching to P6. We have a saying that goes, “Don’t switch horses in the middle of the stream.” Good luck!