Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hammock activities

2 replies [Last post]
Aytac Erdogan
User offline. Last seen 15 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is there anyone who can give me some information about Hammock activities? When I have to use and how I can use.

Replies

Benjamin Mora
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
From what I have learned, hammocks can be summative activities. When setup with a SS predecessor relationship with the first activity in a phase and FF successor relationship with the last activity in a phase, it tells you how long and when, in terms of duration and start and finish, a given phase of work lasts. Hummocks have no innate duration. A hammock’s duration is dependent upon another activity(s).

From what I have been told, hammocks can also be cost loaded activities. For example, Concrete Material Testing can be dependent upon another activity; let us say Concrete Forming & Pouring. So making Concrete Material Testing’s duration completely reliant upon the Forming and Pouring enables the user to keep those activities in synchronization with one another without constantly readjusting duration of the Testing activity.

There are other uses that I have not outlined.
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Use hammocks to monitor the elapsed beginning-to-end duration of a group of activities. A
hammock duration is the number of days between the beginning of the first activity and the end of the last one in the
group--not the sum of the activities’ durations. If several hammocked activities overlap, the hammock’s duration will be smaller
than the combined durations; if large gaps exist between the activities in the hammock, its duration may be longer.

To set up a hammock activity

1)Display the Predecessors form for the hammock activity. Define the hammock’s predecessors. Specify a start to start
relationship and zero lag for all predecessors to the hammock.
2)Display the Successors form for the hammock activity. Specify a finish to finish relationship and zero lag for all
successors to the hammock.
3)After you establish the beginning and ending points of the hammock, calculate the schedule.

**Personally I don’t recommend the use of hammocks in a schedule, you can have the same functionality and being more accurate by using WBS and/or Activity Codes.

Good day!
JK