Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Link between MS Excel to P3 3.1 via ODBC.....

4 replies [Last post]
Suraj Thakur
User offline. Last seen 16 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,
I am using Pervasive ODBC driver to connect to PRIMAVERA v 3.1. I have successfully installed & configured it.
I have access to Primavera thru Excel/Tool/Get External Data...Ther is no problem in pulling out data from P3.

But changes that i make in Excel does not get reflected in Primavera..
where as if i make changes using MS SQL then it gets updated in Primavera, But SQL is as tediuos as P3.1.
So how can i make link to work from Excel to update/change in Primavera 3.1.

regards,

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Suraj,

You cannot do a live link in Excel via ODBC link. You can extract the live data and upload it back using Visual Basic to update P3. Same in SQL you have need a file to upload and update P3 using SQL statement or query. The best way is to use a database which is possible to have a direct live link using ODBC. Using this method you are directly inputting data to P3 but you need to know the structure of P3 first otherwise it will just produce an error if you’re updating the wrong field.

Regards,
Rodel
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Do you know what the best programme to manage P3 database is? Of course, it is P3. And Excel is excellent spreadsheet programme. There is nothing wrong with any of them. And to make life easier, there are some ways information in each programme can be read by one another. But this should not mean that whole database can be managed “with ease” using other programme. If that was the case, why should one need P3, why not make the programme in Excel. Then we find that Excel is not designed for that purpose. Anyway the point I want to make is use the software what it is meant for. Use P3’s functions like schedule, level, global change etc to change P3 data. Then you can export or even dump the whole information from any layout to Excel. This can then be used to make charts and presentations (which are the strong capabilities of Excel). Another use of Excel could be changing a lot of information faster (by export and import) but even this can be performed with Global change in P3 without much of difficulty.
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
there is no easy way to make a live link between excel and P3.

the data base used by P3, is betrieve which is by the way a real bullsh..., so you have two choice

1- take a look at Ra, it is lacated in your installation cd and learn all those weird api and of course you must be a visual basic guru.

2- buy some extra software.

good luck
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Depends on what you want to change. There may be better ways.