Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

e-mail usage in P3

29 replies [Last post]
Kris Harry
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can any of you guys tell me if I can also send my project or sections of it by e-mail via yahoo or hotmail account.

Replies

Scott Hastie
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
not to worry i have fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Hastie
i dont know where to find the P3INI file or how to change it

Regards,

Scott
Vinod Nagarahalli
User offline. Last seen 17 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
I solve this problem, had to change the P3.INI file, mail option

Vinod
Scott Hastie
i had it working before but our computers have been rebuilt recently and ever since it does’nt work properly.
Vinod Nagarahalli
User offline. Last seen 17 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Im facing the same problem as well

Vinod
Scott Hastie
when im trying to create a P3 post office report, when i click next and my (Outlook) E-Mail application should open up im getting this error message:

Unable to Locate Mail dll:MAPI.DLL.
Make sure a mail system is installed on your machine.
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Frank, exactly.

and be sure to use the Primavera Post Office and make sure receiver has post office set up.

Think you are only using the primavera compress send system. You MUST use Post Office.

regards bill
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
The form that appears during File, Send Mail after you click the next button the first time has a customize button that allows you to change the fields you want to send (custom setting). The standard setting allows a choice between % complete and remaining duration…use custom if you need both.

The ensure you are sending the updated .prd file either do a File Save within Post Office or File, Save as to a new location and then reattach e-mail to sender..…you can reopen and check that the updates are being sent just prior to pressing send button in your mail application.
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 1 week ago. Offline
HI BILL

THE PROBLEM I AM FACING IS - I AM UPDATING THE MAIL AND FORWARDING BACK TO THE SENDER - BUT THE SENDER IS NOT RECEIVING THE UPDATED ONE.

BY THE WAY HOW TO CONFIGURE IT TO HAVE A REMAINING DURATION COLUMN

THANKS AND REGARDS

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
absolutely, you are speaking of primavera post office

works great, used it. and can configure it to give remaining durations etc etc.

however the parties who are sending it to you must have available on their pc p3postoffice.
easy to do, simply email them the postoffice files and they can set up.

good luck on this..bill g
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 1 week ago. Offline
HI

PLEASE ADVISE IF ANYONE TESTED P3 E-MAIL -SEND MAIL AND RECEIVE MAIL AND UPDATED THE PROGRESS.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE REMAINING DURATION IN PROGRESS UPDATING FORMAT

REGARDS
MUNEER

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
They have product that extract info form the database and loaded into PDA for updating purposes

Keith Marsden
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 week ago. Offline
does P3/suretrack run on a PDA?
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
One other alternative to collect progress info while display the very basic grahical info is the use of PDA. Its very good especially with supervisor. They love the idea of no longer need to back to the office to update their work each date while still up to date with the schedule. With the reduction of cost of a PDA, it is become more affortable solution.

Keith Marsden
Good luck. Last I heard they were no longer the developing post office solution or P3 itself for that matter.
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all!
It is nearly impractical to ask all planners to built intelligence into their activity description and any third party or add on software is difficult to deploy because of may issues such as security and additional cost.

I am sure email option will be the best option once primavera software refines the email to include activity code or wbs details. Now I am switching over to primavera web site and their forum to post this request.
regards
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Keith

I agree.

regards
Henk

Keith Marsden
Henk,

I’m not questioning whether or not it works well. It does work. ’m simply pointing out that if you want to send many activities out for update, it gets very confusing for the people at the other end. It’s almost imposiible to work out which activity is which, unless you have been very explicit in the activity title. This is seldon the case as many large projects are created by copying and pasting repetitive tasks.

Regards,
Keith
Henk van der Heide
This is a reply on Keath answer that the e-mail function in primavera with postoffice on the other hand is not a practical solution. I disagree. It can be very practical if you want to collect progress from persons by computer (by email)

O.K. it hasn’t the looks of the software nowdays but it works very fine.

Sure their are other application how can do it maybe better but on the other hand this one is included by P3win
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 week ago. Offline
Hi, Keith!

I’ve done some work in this direction. I’m using ASP.NET (VB.NET behind) and DBF file generated from P3. If you’ll have any questions don’t hesitate to contact me.

Cheers.
Keith Marsden
I am working on a solution that enables planners to collect progress from field engineers remotely via a web page. This is obviously dependant on them have access to the internet. The solution manipulates the data and spits it into a format that P3 can import. I appreciate that this is drifting into P3e territory, but lets face it, not all users have P3e (or even want P3e!). Obviously there are business processes that have to be adhered to (cut off dates etc.) but in principal the solution seems sound.
Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 day ago. Offline
hi
Not perhaps only beyond most planners, but beyond most project members involvement in the computorized plan.
If anyone has a solution on how to make the updating actually work with many projectmembers involved in updating the plan "live" in the computorized system,please let me know.This means without wrecking the plan for som other project members.
/Maria
Keith Marsden
This is no longer supported by Primavera. The idea is a great one, but the practicality is not. It relies upon the planner having defined his/her activity titles very tightly indeed. The mail app does not display activities graphically by activity code. For example, if a programme has many activities with the same title, the user at the other end will have no way of differentiating between them. A much better solution is to develop a simple web page which collects the data in such a way that your programme can be updated using ODBC. Forgive my arrogance, but this will probably be beyond most planners.
Neeraj Agarkar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!

Please use the option send mail from File menu in P3. The recepient will get an email having a attachment .PRD.
The recipient will need Primavera post office application. (PRMmail.exe).
He/She can update and send it back to you by email with a subject line which should have the word primavera in it. When you receive the email, open it, review in case you want to make sure he/she updated correctly and close it. Choose merge into project. Your project will be updated.
Regards,
Neeraj

Regards,
Neeraj
Maria Ahlberg
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 day ago. Offline
Hi
Could you please tell me more about Postoffice?
It would be useful to make it possible for project members without P3 to progress activities and send it back to the planner.
/Maria
Henk van der Heide
Hi,

Are you people familiar with Postoffice (PRMMAIL)
Its in the folder P3WIN/PROGS and makes it possible for people who dont have P3win to progress activities and send it back to you, so you can update your projectschedule.

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
If you don’t have outlook client, may be you can do the normal backup from p3 application, then send the file as attachment from your hotmail/yahoo account.
Kris Harry
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Daya,

What happens if we do not have Outlook facility - in that case can we use a Yahoo or Hotmail type account

Kris
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
yes you can use your default e-mail(outlook) to send your p3 project to your client.