Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hook Time Analysis

4 replies [Last post]
Paddy Doherty
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All

I am currently working on tendering for a job which will use a 160T crane. My problem is ( New to the tendering game) i am struggling to work out what the hook time is and if we require 2 cranes for the duration of the job, Production percentages etc

Is there a excel spreadsheet or any examples that somone could help me with?  How would i work out the hook time etc

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline
Hi Paddy I have a paper on Hook Time based on Asta PowerProject. PM me with an email and I will send it to you. Best regards Mike T.
Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 2 days 5 hours ago. Offline

The best tool to use is a Multi-Activity Chart to work out key cycle times then its a process of extrapolating the cycle times to various quantities and looking at alternatives (eg, using a pump instead of a crane for lifting concrete).  Multi-Activity Charts are described at: https://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/WhitePapers/WP1025_Multi-Activity_Charts.pdf

Paddy Doherty
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

My other question would be is there a basic formula to work out the number of lifts required per day from the tonnage of steel in each wall/base.

I seen something on another thread for tower cranes tha had an example:

Maerial Type    Volume     Container    Capacity   Hooks  Programme Tasks   Hour per day  work day  hook per day

Rebar in slab     69T          Sling            1.2          58             5                           12             3               4  

I was wondering what the work day value was and how that relates to hook per day

Mark Hogan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
I'm no expert on high rise but it would be worth speaking to the crane hirer and manufacturer.To get a good balance, I would speak to manufacturers of similiar capacity machines too.Let me know how you get on