Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is Construction Stuck in the 1960s?

5 replies [Last post]
Mel Sinclair
User offline. Last seen 8 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

This article was put up on reddit and brought up a really neat debate (all mature points from both sides). Thought I would post it on here since people have insightful thoughts as I've seen and get people's perspective on it. http://www.fieldwire.com/blog/collaboration/is-construction-stuck-in-the...

Replies

Leansite App
User offline. Last seen 7 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Based on the scientific research, we have written an essay about the future of construction management. Please take a look and let us know whether you agree!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/leansite-what-does-future-hold-construction-management-ergo-pikas

Andrii Grh
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

In many aspects it is. But there are a log of positive trends in constructions today:

http://blog.geniebelt.com/10-emerging-trends-good-for-the-construction-industry-in-2016

Owners and top managers learn from each other. Few of them are brave enough to attend training courses together with their employees. Happy peers that implemented and are happy with new technologies may create an interest and the wish to try.

So only first innovators can change current practices. Only direct contact with potential innovators can be lead to success. Their subordinates are not interested in changes.

Mel Sinclair
User offline. Last seen 8 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Couldn't have said that better myself Vladimir. I fully agree with you on the statement that it is the "top dogs" that need to make the move for the rest of the team. What do you think would be the biggest and most effective strategy to get these leaders to move in the direction that is out of the past?

One of the reasons is poor planning. Most companies still use CPM technique developed in 60-s and do not even try to optimize project resources, accelerating their performance and minimizing resource idle time.

But don't blame the planners. They do what is required. Only owners and top managers may be interested in improvements but unfortunately usually they are not educated enough to know what to require. So the software is selected by those who will not use it (usually IT Departments) and is used mostly for contract administration. Rare companies are trying to manage internal costs and resources. And rare managers are interested in real data transparency.