Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Road works - Best combination to track progress

3 replies [Last post]
arun mathews
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,

I am new to planning feild, and need some help regarding the best combination to use in a road project

The exisiting schedule at my site have all the activities listed "% complete" types as "duration" for all the activities.

As its an expressway project, people are more concerened about the major commodities they achieve monthly and % progress tracking is done based on that in excel files. i hope with all the big road projects its like that.

Mostly activities are happening not as planned due to terrain restrictions and all those.

Planner is just updating the schedule (% duration) monthly based on feedback from site; not updating manhours or actual quantities. So when you look at the schedule it feels like u are ahead because some activities planned for next year are already completed.

My question is, will it be practically possible to develop and track a road project like a building where we update progress based on physical % complete and roll up based on mnhrs ? 

If so what combination shall i use..? physical/ duration or units % complete ?

How is it done properly? 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Arun

If you are working at level 5 then your tasks should be 0ne trade in One location so you will not need any weghting.

That is only required if the lowest level task combines multiple trades and locations.

You need to consider that in a linear road project the principle progress driver is the number of haul units in the cut to fill operation - that will be the primary critical activity.

The distance between cut to fill zones and the volume that can be transported can be calculated as the avergare mass haul or Metre-4.

A lot depends on the quality of the haul roads and the speed of the dumpers / scrapers have to be taken into account.

It is relatively simple once you grasp the theory.

I still say P6 cant cope with it.

Best regards

Mike Testro

arun mathews
User offline. Last seen 9 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you Mike..

Can anyone tell how to add weightages (based on mnhrs) to my P6 schedule. 

Consider like at level 5 i am having activities, i know the concept but how to make it work in primavera?

Can i enter directly the budgeted manhours as weights, and how to obatin the roll up % progress?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Arun

The first thing to do is adjust the programme logic to reflect what is acually happening.

That will show where you really are with the project.

I prefer the physical % complete method but it depends on the level of detail - it is simple at level 4 but at level 3 and above you need a "weighting" system.

Another factor is that P6 is not a suitable platform for linear projects which requires Time / distance software such as Tilos or Asta PowerProject in "Task per Line Mode".

Best regards

Mike Testro