Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Student need help in writing a paper about schedule

1 reply [Last post]
Łukasz Durniat
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

this is my first post on forum. I studying math at university in Poland and I writring paper based on "Minimizing Total Completion Time on parallel Machines With Deadline Constraints"  from 2003 . Not everything is understandable for me. There are proofs in article but not all are easy to follow. Some introduction will be good. I'm looking also some help, advise or tips. The math aspect of a paper is important.

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Lukasz, any discussion about achieving completion of a specific effort consisting of subtasks that can be performed in parallel has to include:

1. Critical path method.
  2. Critical path drag.
  3. Drag cost.

I would urge you to look up all three of these on the Internet (I'd start with Wikipedia). And I'd also recommend the following article:

http://www.dau.mil/pubscats/ATL%20Docs/Jan_Feb_2012/Devaux.pdf

Obviously, the article is aimed at a specific project management audience -- but I suspect you can adapt the ideas to a machine context. And since most academics are ignorant of the concept of critical path drag, they might find the info in your paper new and impressive.

Good luck.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan