Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need help in sewage system planning

7 replies [Last post]
Miklos Hajdu
User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Dear All,

Our client wants to compete for the construction of a complete sewage system, which includes the construction of sewage pipes in more than 200 streets.

During the construction streets will be closed, and some of them will be closed at the same time. It is a requirement (and we should prove it now in the tender phase) that despite of the cut offs (blockades) of the streets all the adresses will be accessible from everywhere.

At the same time - as deadline is tight -  we want to start the construction at as many as possible streets.

What we have is the topology (graph) of the city. From matemathical point of view it is quite clear (we have to look for the minimal spanning tree, and we can close all the other roads) If you have any other suggestion that can solve this problem please let me know.

If you have any application even in Excel that can handle this problem please let me know. (I do not want to waste my time on developing an application for this)

I also would like to know if anyone of you had encountered this kind of problem before

Thanks in advance

Miklós

Replies

Miklos Hajdu

Rafael,

Thanks for the info, I couldn't imagine that so many software deal with traffic simulation. This is a proof for the statement of on of my old professor, "there is nothing new in science the only problem is that we do not follow the literature"

An this unfortunately more or less true.

Thanks again

Daniel

Thanks for the info, in case of small projects I would follow your recommendations, but here we have several hundred roads to lock temporarliy.

Miklós

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Miklos,

You can request a soft copy of the topography and you can use powerpoint to design your temporary traffic arrangement schemes. Somebody needs to sit down and study, no software can do it automatically. You need to plan it in stages for example, TTM Stage 1, you will close half of the road for Roads 1,2 & 3 and so forth.

Regards,

Daniel

Miklos Hajdu

Guys,

Thanks for all your comments.

Iin this case the client has a definite requirements, We have to pkan when and what to close (depends on our resources, technology, organizing skills, etc.) and we have to prove that traffic will work in each phases. It means that it is not enough to say that I'll close this 20 streets now, and that 35 after that at the same time and everything will be fine, but I have to prove that all the points of the town will be accessible from everywhere, and the neighbouring streets can take the whole load without or with the less problem.

So I software that is affordable would be a great help. I do not want to call in expensive traffic consultants in the tender phase. So if you know such a software please let me know

Thanks

Miklos

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Miklos

When you have assimilated all the excellent advice from Daniel and Rafael it would be helpful to put the blockade zones on calendars and assign them to each work zone.

This will emphasise the impact if you do not get possession of the road in time.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

Miklos,

As Daniel just said, close one lane only and keep the other open, luckily usually sanitary lines go at one side of the street only, at the opposite side of potable water lines. You will need a crew for traffic control as you will be left with one side of the street only, and if a two lane street you will have only one lane or one way traffic at a time. Also at some times loading of trucks to get rid of dirt will stop al traffic, here again the continuous need of the traffic control crew.

For back filling there is a special kind of concrete that can be excavated, more expensive than dirt but can be an alternative, at times even required as it does not require compaction.

The sequence I guess must be starting from low point toward upper point as to make building connections and keep the system running.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Miklos,

What you actually need is a good and viable Traffic Management System. You need to study how you can accomplish your work without causing disruption or cutting the access to the people living in the village.  For example you can only close half of the road at a time and leaving half open so the villagers can still pass. 

Regards,

Daniel