Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Construction Management Student Needs Some Planning Mentoring

5 replies [Last post]
Matthew George
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I'm a 3rd year C. management student based out of Canada.  I've had only two classes so far in scheduling and they ended up being very disappointingly general; nevertheless, I ended up really enjoying the thought processes and research that go into making a scheduling (quite challenging), so I later decided to formulate one for a small multi-residential building and then later on for a tower (only drawings I have been able to review) in order to educate myself.  I would also like to use them later on in the field once I get a job, so I would like them to be correct.  I've of course read books, done google searches, but I've also read through a lot of posts on PP.com, so thanks for passing down some of the knowledge-base. 

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there wouldn't mind reviewing the schedule I have made for a 4 storey multi-residential. Some project specs: it's built on a pile/SOG foundation (I'll assume the lot is demo'd and partially cleared), concrete commercial ground floor w/ steel stud framing and storefront windows, then upper 3 storeys are wood frame construction.

Feel free to tear it apart, my mind is fried after entering in all those activities, and I'm sure I've done some standard planning errors and no-no's.  Some things I was confused by: more/less detail for the concrete/wood framing, when should the elevator shaft and installation start, is it fine to go with the sequence: HVAC/PLUMBING/ELECTRICAL, is my interior finishes and rough-in sequences alright, when should you tie in the ultilities to the buildling once they are within 5' from the bldg, and finally when would you start installing the appliances?... Anyway, any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Done in MS Project (download via Google Doc's)

2000-2003 version: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1UCST5kO3r2d1FISzJjY3JKNkE

2007 version: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1UCST5kO3r2NkNDR191WlVySm8

2010 version: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1UCST5kO3r2alFSMDF6WTR0RGs My email is mgeorge1@my.bcit.ca Thanks, Matthew

Replies

Matthew George

Thanks for the pointers, Mike.  My school only has MS Project, but I think I'll be able to use excel to make a one resource spreadsheet under "Hours," and then punch in the values, but I'll have to figure out how to incorporate that into my msp programme.  

I think I got better understanding of landscaping, I'll fiddle with my programme and try to graft a 3-phase landscape sequence into my plan. The new trade issue is a interesting point, I would have never thought of that, I think maybe I can get something added into the custom field tabs on Msproject to start a new sub on Monday.

Appreciate the feedback, I'll try more coffee first, but I may bug you again if I get stuck and start to develop the urge to shoot myself.

Matthew

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Matthew

Landscaping is often in three stages.

1. Roads and hardstanings up to formation for access routes and site establishment.

2. Work close in to the structure when the scaffold is down.

3. Planting and soft work towards the end of the project.

Using price books is a good way to establish resource outputs for resource modelling.

You will make your life much easier by using only one resource called "Hours" and setting up a spreadsheet for each task with a column for each of:

1. Volume of Work

2. Output

3. Gang size

These can then be added to the resource modelling software.

If you are using software such as Powerproject the numbers can be copy / pasted directly into the programme columns and the result will be instant.

With other types of software you will have to type them all in.

One benefit of this type of resource modelling is that when the volume of work changes the effect on the programme will be instantaneous.

Another thing to remember on the practical side of things is that the modelled durations will not be a full day so if one trade ends at 15:30 on Tuesday the programme assumes that the next trade will pile in that afternoon to do 1.5 hours work.

That just does not happen.

Some software allows you to set the next trade to start on the following day others don't - in which case you have to round up your spreadsheet numbers to fix a full day duration - this is best done by adding a balancing column next to the calculated hours so that it rounds up to your work pattern.

Another fact of life to remember is that no new subbie will ever start on a Wednesday morning - "We'll be there on Monday" is the normal mantra.

There is a way of fixing this so that every new trade starts on a Monday morning - I will leave you to figure it out.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Matthew George

Bah,

After a few more nights of trying to figure out the planning of this building, I think I'm closer to the end.

Thanks for taking the time to look at it, Mike.

I reviewed your suggestions and tried to incorporate them into the plan.  I couldn't get my boarding of L1 to time coincidentally with the approximate time of L1 weather-tightness; however, maybe I can figure out how to sequence the MEP rough-in to be more efficient, as well as my interior finishes cycle.  I'm not quite sure when the landscape and hardscape could go, on my next edit I will presume it is ok to commence once all the dry wall is loaded or when all the cladding/painting is done so there is are no longer any booms/jibs/scissors in the way.  

This is what it looks like now (MS Project 2010 I can convert it if need be) I'd appreciate any feedback/constructive criticism.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1UCST5kO3r2T0Fid1kwaHVMTlU

On a side note, I'm thinking about buying some man-hour estimation books so I can learn to calculate duration a little more accurately as right now i'm just somewhat ''guesstimating."  My school uses RSMeans Con. Cost Data, is this what you guys use, or is there something else more efficient for estimating durations.  RSMeans seems to be exhaustive to the point where you have to review every component down to the type of screw used...

Much thanks,

Matthew

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Matthew

I have just had a quick look at your programme and in my opinion you are on the right track.

You use FS links which is good practice but you should not use any sort of lead lags except for your curing periods that can best be set by Lead Lag links using - as you have done -  Elapsed days. This makes progress reporting easier as you do not have to estimate a percentage of days.

I could not find any link between weather tight conditions and internal finishings.

You have a link from 146 to 294 when there should be a weather tight milestone that links FS to your first weather sensitive finishings. This would seem to be 172.

There are a number of open ended tasks - every task must have at least 1 succesor unless it is the last one.

Let us see what other members have to say.

Good luck in your new career.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Matthew George

Sorry, clicked post twice.