Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Power Generation - Civil Construction of a Steam Turbine Table

3 replies [Last post]
Jason Lightley
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I recently told that there is a International Construction Norm for the Civil Construction of a Steam Turbine Table but I find that almost impossble to believe since the designs and constructability vary based on the size of the proposed Stator Unit.

I am currently working on a 6 x 800 MW Power Station and wonder whether there are other individuals that have worked on a similar project so I may do a comparitive assessment to see if our current duration is similar.

Thanks

Replies

Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

I Jason

I had several project including Steam turbines tables and foundations. None of them was the same.

Several examples : Table 5m high (on top of collumns of corse), 10m high, table at the same level of the 2nd floor of the turbine building, etc, etc.

I would recomend to have a chat with the Civil designer (at least to have a rough idea how it looks like and qtys of work) and then using the local productivities come up with a duration range (optimist / pessimist).

In any case, in my experience even the simplest turbine table took +/- 6 months from Base foundation till RFE (Ready for erection) - piles excluded if necessary. Make attention to the erection of embeded items which under certain circunstancies can be a lot of time consuming.

Regards

JMFrade

Jason Lightley
User offline. Last seen 10 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your feedback.

Our client here in South Africa is of a unique opinion that that is not the case, which leads me to believe that lack of knowledge and experience in the civil construction industry has lead to this board based statement based on a report that he received from a overseas source - I am simply looking to see if I can find a way to educate him that every project is unique by providing some previous examples from some various sources so if you know of anyone who has worked on a Coal Powered Power Plant project previously that may be able to assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Jason,

Duration for any activities differs even with similar or equal projects.

The following are factors affecting duration of Activities but not limited to.
1. Workers Nationalities.
2. Climate / Weather
3. Responsibility (Main Contractor's workers or Sub-Contractor's Worker)

Regards,