Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need help in preparing a schedule for a project plagued with problems

4 replies [Last post]
sunil danthuluri
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Every one,

I am a planning engineer for 15.6 KM Road project which consists of 4 Tunnels and 3 Bridges. This project is being executed in a hilly terrain. This project started way back in 2006. This project is being plagued with problems. Around 2km of road is in land acquisition problems. Rest of the portion is completed. Recently one of the tunnel front portal collapsed since it's residing on man made debris. So we are waiting for an alternative design. I am actually trying to prepare a work program for this project. I am just not getting the idea about where to start. Do you want me to prepare a schedule with some said dates and change the dates once the problems get cleared. Please help me on this!!!!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Dear Lord

You are really asking for a full tutorial on the topic of delay analysis which I can offer if you go to the website

www.planningacademy.org

Meanwhile your points one by one.

1. This method you have outlined --- creation of delayed events and linking them to the tasks.  Are you mentioning this specifically for Asta Powerproject?  Or you figure this can be done in other software too (P6/P3/MSP).

Any software will do but Asta works best for me. 

2. Delayed events --- Is this a delayed even calendar?  Or an actual event taking up a seperate line (as a seperate task).

A delay event is represented as a seperate task - linked FS to the delayed activity.

A delay event such as bad weather or work stoppage is best represented on a calendar as no work days.

3. Link them to tasks --- Via calendar?  Or as a FS relationship?

See above

The way I understand you were advising would be this:-

Event A ----(FS)----> DelayedEvent A (note that these are two tasks in the pm software, linked together by FS relationship).  Now, we should continue increasing the DelayedEventA everytime there is a delay.  And once the delay is over, we should:-

1.  Delete it?

No keep it in place

2.  Change the description?

Yes to something like "Delay Impact Finished"

And also, if how does this solution work if the EventA delay is sometime in the middle.

That is when you need to split the activity - Powerproject will do this. If you just add a mid bar link with either a ss orr ff link with a lag to place it mid bar the all you will do is drag the start date later.

If there is no successor link then there will be no downstream effect.

Eg:

1. Today is 01-Dec-2011

2. EventA was supposed to start on 01-Nov-2011 and end 31-Dec-2011

3. On 25-Nov-2011 there was a delay.

4. The delay is STILL ongoing.

Now, how do you work it out?

Add a task that represents the delay event - in powerproject this could be coloured bright scarlet so as to stick out like a dobermans balls (incidently this is the root of the cockney slang "the dogs bollocks" its outstandingly obvious.

Once the link is in place just extend the delay week by week and turn the screw at every progress report meeting - and watch their eyes water.

I'd *really* be in your debt if you could show some screenshots if you could do this (no matter what software).

As I said got to the planning academy website.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Lord Horn
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Mike,

This looks pretty much a wonderful idea to not only for Sunil's query, but also for generally reporting delays.  Of this, considering my project management naivette, I have a couple of questions:-

1. This method you have outlined --- creation of delayed events and linking them to the tasks.  Are you mentioning this specifically for Asta Powerproject?  Or you figure this can be done in other software too (P6/P3/MSP).

2. Delayed events --- Is this a delayed even calendar?  Or an actual event taking up a seperate line (as a seperate task).

3. Link them to tasks --- Via calendar?  Or as a FS relationship?

The way I understand you were advising would be this:-

Event A ----(FS)----> DelayedEvent A (note that these are two tasks in the pm software, linked together by FS relationship).  Now, we should continue increasing the DelayedEventA everytime there is a delay.  And once the delay is over, we should:-

1.  Delete it?

2.  Change the description?

And also, if how does this solution work if the EventA delay is sometime in the middle.

Eg:

1. Today is 01-Dec-2011

2. EventA was supposed to start on 01-Nov-2011 and end 31-Dec-2011

3. On 25-Nov-2011 there was a delay.

4. The delay is STILL ongoing.

Now, how do you work it out?

I'd *really* be in your debt if you could show some screenshots if you could do this (no matter what software).

Thanks and respectfully yours,

LH

sunil danthuluri
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your swift reply..I will implement this and will let you know how it's working out..

Thanks once again.. Have a nice day

-Sunil

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Sunil

Welcome to Planning Planet.

I am assuming that you do not have an original programme for the whole project to use as a starting point.

In which case you need to set up a programme for the uncompleted work.

If you are using Asta PowerProject then the task per line mode is excellent for linear projects.

Keep this simple with FS links between the tasks to show a clear critical path.

Then add the delay events - such as the collapsed tunnel - and link them to the relevant tasks.

As the weeks progress increse the durations of the delay events until they are settled and work can start again.

Use this process to report on progress and delayed completion each week.

Best regards

Mike Testro