Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Any standards for WBS structure?

9 replies [Last post]
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Is there any construction standards for building WBS structure?
{ Irrespective of nature of projects whether oil & gas,Civil or MEP }

Replies

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Shahul,

Like what Rafael has said, you can use CSI within your WBS structure.

WBS structure defines the physical location of a particular activity (Project X, Building A, Floor 32).

While CSI Codes defines whar kind of activity is being performed (Installation of Elevators).

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
"It is a side show for bean counters."

One of the best lines I’ve read on PP !
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 10 hours ago. Offline
Shahul

In some way you got to keep the order of things. WBS is just a name for an index under which you organize your work elements, not a big deal.

Don’t go to Wikipedia as it misled you directly to the most common and gross WBS misuse, using WBS as a substitute or equivalent to CBS or Cost Breakdown Structure (BoQ coding), they should be kept apart as Mike is warning you, he is right, believe me.

You can use CSI within your WBS but I would not use it at the top level.

Because of the size of my jobs I never use WBS but Activity Codes, in very large jobs you might need WBS as a way to navigate within thousands of activities. It is easier to say go to WBS 10.03.30.40 than go to JOB-20: PAHSE-03: AREA-Building 30: CSI Division-Electrical, it is also easier to find because the code itself tells you the sorting order.

I find it unnecessary for small jobs being Activity Codes more intuitive. On the other hand I also believe no single CPM specs fits all job sizes, usually none, I am in favor of the software to provide for multiple WBS as Spider Project does, in case I ever have to use WBS, never say never. I am very happy I don’t need it, yet.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Shahul

The problem with the BoQ coding - especially in SMM7 is that the sections do not follow construction logic.

For instance you will find window boards in external walls when they are part of Carpentry 1st Fix.

Most illogical.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Shah. HB
Thanks but i found WBS structure been buit out using CSI format
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Shahul,

Of course, this is the standard BOQ items preparation list. It is a smart way to creat the BOQ and link it to the cost center as well. But you need much more work to come up with the components as well that will lead to the invoicing of the CSI code.

With kind regards,

Samer
Shah. HB
I just came to know that CSI codes been widely accepted for building WBS for construction.
Is there any one who have used this?
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Shahul,

You can visit www.pmi.org and search their website. They have a publication that you can purchase or download if you are a member. It is very comprehensive.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Shahul

Do not bother with a WBS format in your planning.

It is a side show for bean counters.

Best regards

Mike Testro.