Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6.2 - Change/Scope Control Methodology

5 replies [Last post]
Steve Ogrady
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am currently managing a project via resource loaded bottom up schedule.

I am at the point where I have encountered change (i.e. addition of new activities/removal of existing activities.

On the project, we currently have a change control process in order.

In this specific case, we are using P6.2 for tracking budgeted, remaining, and forecasting units/costs.

I am currently looking for a detailed methodology on how to incorporate the addition/removal of activities during the process.

Example:

When new activities and or removal of activities occur: do I adjust the budgeted resources accordingly (i.e. In other words, increase/decrease original budget of the particular activities). If so, how would I use the original budget information to create curves in the future if it has changed (It is imperative that this information be available for future use). I would essentially like to have the ability to produce the original budgeted curves and revised budgeted curves - in this case would I define a user field column entitled Rev. Budget and enter date within that field.

Please help.

Thanks.

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Steve

You’ll have to agree with management or customer when to draw a new baseline - and compare with the new one. As a BL is a complete copy of your project maybe 1000 BL would overcharge SQL Server.

There are different solutions: Always keep the original BL or work with a new one after each major change of scope.

For the print-outs we use Excel, but the data is from P6.

Regards
Dieter

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Steve,

Sorry to say that I can’t provide clarification with regards to the use of templates as I’m not practicing it. As they say, each and every project is unique. Some construction activities might be generic in terms but I believe there will always be difference in some applications or factors corresponding to a certain project.

As Dieter said, you need to establish a baseline for each and every changes that you make, meaning if you got a thousand changes, correspondingly, you got a thousand baseline in order to track your changes (with due respect to Dieter, I supposed that’s what he meant, or am I wrong?).

cheers!
Steve Ogrady
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thank you for your comments.

Do I adjust the budgeted costs (i.e. reduce to $O) resources, and essentially all activities which have been removed from scope. If so, how will I be able to use original budgeted information to plot curves if it has changed (and thus the original budget will not be visible within Primavera at a glance.

For activities added: Once added to the schedule, do I populate the original budgeted units/cost fields for all resources required for the new activity OR do I populate only the remaining units/cost fields (i.e. forecast)

OR do new fields exist (i.e. rev cost) that could be used to capture the cost impact of the scope changes while always showing the original budget.

Hopefully the above makes some sense. The real issue: where specifically should I show a reduction/increase in costs/units for removal/additions to scope within the schedule - while showing the original budget.

Anoon: Can you provide clarification on the use of templates - I am unfamiliar with this

Thanks

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Steve,

May I add to what Dieter had advised. As you had mentioned resource loaded bottom-up scheduling, and change/scope control methodology, I believe this will always happen if you will use templates to develop a higher level (i.e. level 3 or 4) schedule during the early stage of the project (sorry Mike). For me, details or specifics - make the schedule. And changes to the scope will always impact your budget.

cheers!
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Steve

I assume that your plan was signed and approved.
First you’ll have to create a baseline - as well after each change of scope. Be aware P6 only recognizes an activity if it still does exist in your current plan, so don’t delete activities after your baseline was taken. Those activities you can set to duration, units, and costs = zero; maybe with a comment "due to scope change as of...". For my opinion this is better than just to delete activities.

Hope my assumption was right.

Regards
Dieter