Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 WBS Help

6 replies [Last post]
Andy Petkus
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everybody

I need some help please. I’m a new user in P6 and I need to move/copy a WBS structure from one project to another and I also need to delete the existing WBS structure in the target project.

I’ve copied my new WBS over no problem, but I cannot delete the original structure as I’m getting duplicate activities because of the 2 structures.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies

Abu Lana
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all
Could you try to creat a new blank document and merge down the WBS u want.
pick from original whatever you want, and from target also, combine them manualy in the new blank project. i worked fine in P3 versions and i tried it in p5 it worked also.
Andy Petkus
Shazad,

That’s my problem also. I cannot seem to be able to delete the target WBS structure. When I right click on the parent node, the delete button is greyed out.

I think maybe this is due to the activities still being allocated to it.

Thanks

Andy
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
if you need to delete WBS structure in target/baseline programme, then detach the baseline and open it then delete whatever you want to delete.

it shouldnt be too difficult.

hope this helps

thanks
Andy Petkus
Thanks guys,

Richard, I just copied and pasted but couldn’t delete/overwrite the original WBS structure.

Shazad,I tried that also, but still couldn’t delete the orginal WBS.

What I need to do is to take my WBS and the activities which I have coded/allocated with the WBS code I want and overwrite the target programme so that it shows my WBS structure and that all the target activities show my WBS codes.

I’ve gone upside down and inside out trying all sorts things within P6 to do this - can’t do it or rather I don’t know how to do it.

I’m beginning to think that I might have to export both my programme data and the target programme data into say, Excel or Access, combine and manipulate the date to what I want and then import back into my target programme.

I don’t know if this can be done or not in P6.

Obviously, I don’t to have to start from the beginning again in recoding the target programme if I can help it, (about 7500 activities).

Anyway ideas/help would be great, thanks.

Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
when copying WBS

you get

copy WBS Options, dont you?

uncheck activities box
and the activities wouldnt be copied, only WBS will be copied, so you end up with no duplication.

cheers
Richard Day
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Andy,

How did you copy over the WBS?

Thanks